Giardia

RobinM

Friend of mine just adopted a dog that has Giardia. Vet put dog on meds. If that doesn't work will try and another and if that doesn't work will do cocktail.

I don't know the meds, I didn't ask. I do know that giardia is a beast to knock out.

Question:

I understand that Giardia is passable to humans??? Should she and her DH be started on a round of propholatic (Sp?) doses of antibiotic and if so, what should it be.

I can have it called in for her. Her 2nd dog is being treated as well.

Thanks.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Giardia is contagious to humans, but they are unlikely to get it unless they have poor hygiene habits with the dogs (sharing drinking dishes, handling waste, etc). I doubt a prophylactic round of meds would be necessary.

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

so long as they don't do anything daft they shouldn't catch it - we didn't off our lot when they got it.

as for the meds, Panacur is probably the best. not the standard dose, you have to read the sheet carefully but there are special guiardia dosing instructions included with the bottle.

Ugh - I hope they don't get it, and I hope their newly adopted hound gets better soon! :sad1

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest Sassifrass

I picked up a resounding case of giardia about ten years ago. Doctors, public health department, and family could never figure out how I was infected. I have good health habits - honest!! Nobody I knew or came into contact with got it - so it remained a mystery why I was the only one.

It was a nasty disease - although on a bright note it did knock ten pounds off me really fast. When the doctor finally figured out what I had, the medicine knocked it out within two days.

I would think that if your friends are careful, they should be fine, but it might be wise to contact their family doctor to be sure.

Guest greyladydown

Giardia can be transmitted to humans and animals through bird and rabbit droppings, as well as contact with pond water and even puddles. It's easily transmitted through stool, so I always spray the area where the dog has eliminated with bleach. It may kill the grass, but the grass will grow back.

Guest KennelMom

Never had a problem getting rid of giardia w/good ol' flagyl.

As long as the humans have decent hygiene habits (as mentioned earlier), they should be fine.

Guest Tenderhearts
None of the rest of us (cats, dog, human) got it, but none of the rest of us are poop eaters :lol

Thank goodness you clarified that! :lol :lol :lol :lol

I had Flagyl called in for her. It's what she wanted so...

hope she and her pups are OK!

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Monty picked this up last winter, probably from eating or drinking something in the yard that he shouldn't have :( Neither of the other dogs, nor the kitties or I picked it up, and I'm sure he had it for a while before it was Dx'd, so really just routine cleanliness to avoid contagion, nothing special. It was picked up during his senior well visit, he didn't have any symptoms. Panacur and Flagyl took care of it in no time and he tested clean after that.

Guest wmlcml6
Giardia can be transmitted to humans and animals through bird and rabbit droppings, as well as contact with pond water and even puddles. It's easily transmitted through stool, so I always spray the area where the dog has eliminated with bleach. It may kill the grass, but the grass will grow back.

Very good advice with regard to how it can be contracted and how to minimize the chance of other animals getting it - exactly what our vet told us when Hawk got sick with Giardia. He was being treated for Parvo for several days without any positive response. After 2 days of Panacur he was like a different puppy, and after the full treatment (I can't remember if we dosed him for 5 or 7 days) he was back to eating and growing like a weed. Please make sure to keep up the treatment even if your dog starts to feel better.

I would follow Hawk around the yard with leash in one hand and a bottle of bleach in the other. As soon as he did his business, I poured bleach over the spot.

Edited by wmlcml6