Munchie's Uti

Guest LittleGreys

Guest LittleGreys

We are having a heck of a time clearing up Munchie's urinary infection. She had been on Clavamox for 14 days, we rechecked the urine, still blood, not as many white cells. Vet said to do 5 more days of clavamox, wait a few days and recheck. Did that, now she has raging proteus mirabilis. Sensitivity says it is sensitive to clavamox, I would have thought 20 days would have cleared it up, at least somewhat. She has been on cipro for 5 days, but her symptoms are returning (drinking more and peeing more). Vet said today to keep her on cipro through the weekend and recheck Monday. She didn't have any crystals in her urine, but I am wondering about stones. The vet said she may not be responding to the antibiotics because she is immuno-suppressed.

I blame this all on switching to CORE food, but I could be totally wrong. I stopped feeding it to her a couple weeks ago.

Other than this dang UTI she is doing GREYT!

Guest Mom2Gr8dawgs

Poor Munchie! I'm sorry she's having such a rough time. I'm sending lots of good thoughts and prayers that she'll be feeling better real soon. :grouphug

Was a culture done? One thing I would do right away is change his drinking water to either filtered water (like a Britta filter put on the faucet) or bottled distilled water.

As greyluck said, the cranberry pills are a good idea also, once the infection is gone.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

:grouphug I am so sorry she is not feeling well, we will shoot up some prayers that she feels better real soon.

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

Come on, Munchie, beat the nasty infection and BE WELL!!!!!!!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest LittleGreys
I thought when a UTI didn't respond to an antibiotic, a culture was done. Sometimes a different antibiotic is needed.

A culture WAS done, that's how we know it's proteus, and the sensitivity was done that says its sensitive to both clavamox and cipro.

What is CORE food?

It is made by Wellness, it is a grain free, low carb food.

Is she on filtered water?

I doubt it's because of the food. If she is immune suppressed, this is a problem. Were there any other antibiotics that were sensitive to it?

When Burp had recurring UTIs, we finally fixed it with 21 days of baytril. FYI -- many vets say that Cipro is not the same as Baytril, even though it is the same drug. Somehow it is formulated differently and works better.

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits