Monty Ate A Lot Of Raisins

Guest greytmonty

Guest greytmonty

We left really early for a swim meet this morning.

DH and DS left the kitchen open and food on the counter. :angryfire

Monty went exploring, and when we came home, a loaf of bread was gone, the raisins were open, and a lot were missing.

We called the vet and made him throw up using the peroxide method. This time we kept him in the tub for long enough, so we didn't get the rug.

He is now ok, he brought up everything. He looks like he feels blue.

Chicken and rice for dinner later.

I think DH and DS feel almost as bad as Monty. :unsure

Edited by greytmonty

We left really early for a swim meet this morning.

DH and DS left the kitchen open and food on the counter. :angryfire

Monty went exploring, and when we came home, a loaf of bread was gone, the raisins were open, and a lot were missing.

We called the vet and made him throw up using the peroxide method. This time we kept him in the tub for long enough, so we didn't get the rug.

He is now ok, he brought up everything. He looks like he feels blue.

Chicken and rice for dinner later.

I think DH and DS feel almost as bad as Monty. :unsure

Raisins can be incredibly toxic to dogs, please keep a close eye on him (which I'm sure you are). Here is an article about raisins from The Dog Breed Info Center:

Raisin and Grape Toxicity in Dogs

By Lauren Shifflett

LShifflett70@yahoo.com

Hyattsville, MD

Although many dog owners and dog trainers have traditionally used raisins and grapes as treats, RAISINS AND GRAPES IN LARGE QUANTITIES CAN BE LETHAL TO DOGS. As few as a handful of raisins or grapes can make a dog ill; however, of the 10 cases reported to the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center (APCC), each dog ingested between 9 ounces and 2 pounds of grapes or raisins.

If your dog has ingested large quantities of raisins or grapes, (s)he will immediately begin to vomit repeatedly, and will become extremely hyperactive and jittery. After about 24 hours, the dog will become lethargic and depressed. (S)he may experience abdominal pain and may stop urinating, drinking, and/or eating. (S)he will also become dehydrated. Both his/her vomit and feces will contain partially digested raisins or grapes. His/her breathing may become irregular, and (s)he will also become hypercalcemic (high calcium concentrations) and hyperphosphosphatemic

Ultimately, without treatment, the dog will go into renal (kidney) failure, and may die a horrible very painful death. Of the 10 reported cases, only 5 dogs survived, & these only with early, aggressive, & long-term treatment

The best cure for an overdose, of course, is prevention. Because dogs can get hold of raisins or grapes from a variety of sources—the kitchen counter, the coffee table, vines in a private vineyard, a child’s lunch box—DOG PROOF YOUR VINEYARDS & REMOVE RAISINS AND GRAPES FROM CANINE REACH. Do not feed your dog raisins/grapes as treats so that you can avoid him/her “getting a taste for themâ€. Remember that raisins are even more concentrated (and hence more toxic) than grapes—approximately 4 pounds of grapes equal 1 pound of raisins. The APCC also warns that any substance in large doses can be toxic.

However, if you suspect your dog has eaten a large amount of raisins or grapes, take your dog to a veterinarian immediately, and have them contact the Animal Poison Control Center for assistance. Have your veterinarian initiate decontamination measures, and administer fluids and/or dialysis to assist/restart the dog’s kidneys. Be aware that initially your veterinarian may suspect rat poison as the above symptoms are very similar to the symptoms of rat poison.

The APCC is still unable to determine the cause of renal (kidney) failure. Possibilities include 1) an agent in grapes and raisins themselves; 2) fungicides, herbicides, or pesticides contamination; 3) heavy metals; 4) high amounts of Vitamin D; or 5) fungus or mold contamination.

Information on raisin and grape toxicity is still very new; therefore, your veterinarian and fellow dog owners may not yet be aware of the danger. Please pass on this information to every dog owner, veterinarian, rescue group, breeder, newsletter, listserve, and pet food store you can.

For more information about grapes and raisin toxicity and/or all substances toxic to dogs and other animals, please see the ASCPA Animal Poison Control Center

If you suspect your dog has ingested any poisonous substance, please CALL the APCC at 888-4ANI-HELP (888-426-4435) immediately.

Also please read “Renal failure associated with ingestion of grapes or raisins in dogs.†The Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association (JAVMA). May 15, 2001. Volume 218. Number 10. Pages 1555-1556.

(edited after I reread your post, you already spoke with the vet, I missed that when I first read the post. WHEW!)

Edited by ckruzan

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Guest BlackandBrindle

Sadie got into some trail mix with raisins when Df forgot to close the pantry :rolleyes:

I freaked out a little, well a lot, but by the time we realized, it had been at least 12 hours. Sadie suffered no more ill effects than peanuty poop.

Hope Monty feels better soon!

Guest greytmonty

Thanks. We induced vomiting and everything came up, including his breakfast he'd eaten before the raisins, so we are fairly sure he is out of the woods. The vet said to keep an eye on him but that he should be fine as he ate about 1 cup and we got it all back up in time.

Thanks. We induced vomiting and everything came up, including his breakfast he'd eaten before the raisins, so we are fairly sure he is out of the woods. The vet said to keep an eye on him but that he should be fine as he ate about 1 cup and we got it all back up in time.

Whew! I'm so glad to hear it. A long time ago, before we knew about grapes and raisins being toxic, we used to give our dogs a grape or two, it was so cute to watch them roll it around with their noses. No more of that.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

we used to feed our Standard Poodle grapes daily for a long time. he lived to be 16. died of a stroke. I think it's like a lot of things, it depends on the dog. just the same I take no chances. Misty would only play with the grapes anyhow and that stopped after she crushed one in to the carpet. :ohno

as for sweet Monty...I had a friend with a suicidal Golden Retriever...maybe Monty is a shirt tail relative to Morgan!!! sounds like he'll be fine though!!!

Angie, Pewter, and Storm-puppy

Forever missing Misty-Mousie (9/9/99 - 10/5/15)
Fort Wayne, Indiana

Awww...feel better soon sweetie. I am SO glad everything came up! When Angel Sophia was in ICU they brought in an English Bulldog that had ingested raisins and they lost her. She was seizing and in complete kidney failure. Hug Monty for me! :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Monty- Monty- Monty- Are you trying to compete with us for who has more vet visits???

I'm glad you caught this early, and didn't have to go to the vet.

Glad to hear everything came up and I'm sure he will feel much better this evening.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

He must have been watching that commercial about how many scoops of raisins in a bowl of raisin bran.

Poor Monty. It's always something.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Glad he's feeling better & back!

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Ok young man...no more scares ok??? :wub:

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Glad he is feeling well! The hydrogen peroxide thing is No Fun At All!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Monty - didn't you think that your Mom had enough to worry about lately? What are we going to do with you! It sounds like you are feeling better, so be a good boy and don't give your Mom anymore scares!

Grapes and raisins, in quantity, can cause renal failure. While Monty will probably be fine, please keep and eye on him and remember this incident if he ever has kidney/urinary tract problems. It may be a good idea have some lab work done on him to make sure his renal function is fine.