Corns And Boots

Guest Ally

My poor Lea suffers terribly with corns and last week had to have one off each foot. Needless to say she's not very happy with 4 bandaged feet and having to wear nappy bags to go outside in the garden!

Question is, I found the Thera Paw website selling the little boots that seem to have a lot of recommendations from greyhound owners saying that they can help with corns and are also great to keep bandages dry when going outside (would prob help environment too as I'm going through about 16 nappy bags a day!).

Anyone use these boots and do they really help? Also, is there anything else that I can do to help stop these corns reappearing as she does seem to get a lot (Gordon has never had one in his life so it must be down to the individual I suppose?).

Thanks in advance :)

Yes, I've used them for corns, and yes, they really do help. You would do well to buy some baby socks as well, as sometimes they rub the dog's knuckles. Good luck! Corns suck!

Oh, and why are the feet bandaged? The vet should be able to hull the corns out, leaving a dry "bed". There should be no blood and no need for bandages. What method did he/she use?

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Thanks for the reply, I will get some asap. I think the bandages are mainly because she can barely put any weight on her feet and the bandages helped to pad them a bit. I did take them off last night as we decided to take her on a small walk, get the bandages wet and then replace them but I decided to leave them off and she could barely walk, so I put some back on. Last time when she just had the one taken out he didn't bandage her as she could just hold it up in the air.

She's managed to get 3 of the bandages off again! Now she's hobbling like an old lady :(

Bring on the boots!

Guest MnMDogs

I've been using them with Mork for years. He started with one corn on one foot and now he has 3, one on 3 different paws. If not for TheraPaws, we would not be able to walk him on hard surfaces at all. Honestly, I can't say enough about them, they've been a life saver for us. Even after he had the corns hulled, he really does need them on pavement.

Meredith, thank you so much for the baby sock tip! I've just started to notice that his knuckles seem to be getting rubbed. They also do cause irritation under the skin under his dew claws. I sometimes just put a bandaid under the claw which reduces this.

Carol, you can also use a piece of cotton under the dew, then tape the dew down against the cotton. Or, simply cut a hole in the therapaw so the dew can stick out. One of our foster dogs did that himself and it worked great! :lol

Thanks for the reply, I will get some asap. I think the bandages are mainly because she can barely put any weight on her feet and the bandages helped to pad them a bit. I did take them off last night as we decided to take her on a small walk, get the bandages wet and then replace them but I decided to leave them off and she could barely walk, so I put some back on. Last time when she just had the one taken out he didn't bandage her as she could just hold it up in the air.

She's managed to get 3 of the bandages off again! Now she's hobbling like an old lady :(

Bring on the boots!

Poor baby! What worked for us was a low dose of tramadol (50mg) and the boots. Hope your pup can get some relief!

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

I agree that the therapaws are wonderful! Sorry your poor girl has those nasty corns on all four paws!

Cosmo (Fuzz Face Cosmos), Holmes (He's a Dream), Boomer (USS Baby Boomer), Ella and missing our angels Clay (Red Clay), Train (Nite Train), Trip (Bock's Teddy Bear),Larry (Bohemian Frigid) and Jimmy (Bohemian Raw)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest kdbeaar

My Trooper has corns on all four paws, poor thing. I used to get them removed by the vet every month, but they grew back so fast he really only had about one week that was relatively pain-free.

The Therapaws really help a lot. He wears them on all four feet. He can walk without a limp, which is marvelous.

Also, I use a woman's battery-operated manicure set to buff them down. I figure if I can get the corn even with the pad of the foot, it won't cause quite as much pain as it would hitting the ground first.

Here's something funny...when we went to BeachBound Hounds last summer, it was his first time in the waves and the sand. (He wasn't crazy about it!) But later that day, in the hotel, I pulled 4 or 5 corns out of toes--the first time I could do it with just my fingers...something about the sand and surf, I guess! So if you live near a beach, you're in luck!

Karen

Edited by kdbeaar

I just purchased Kiwi a few Thera Paws and almost bought them from the Thera Paw website directly but then found them at Going Home Greyhounds for considerably less, per boot. ($16 v.s. $20-22 (depending upon size) each)

Here is the link : http://www.goinghomegreyhounds.org/store/i...egory&id=13

Just a thought especially if you're buying 4 like I did. I saved $5 per boot going thru GHG instead of Thera Paw. No hurt feelings toward Thera Paw.com but who isn't looking to save money these days. ;) The product is wonderful and thank doG for the invention.

Good Luck with your girl

Guest MnMDogs
I just purchased Kiwi a few Thera Paws and almost bought them from the Thera Paw website directly but then found them at Going Home Greyhounds for considerably less, per boot. ($16 v.s. $20-22 (depending upon size) each)

Just a thought especially if you're buying 4 like I did. I saved $5 per boot going thru GHG instead of Thera Paw. No hurt feelings toward Thera Paw.com but who isn't looking to save money these days. ;) The product is wonderful and thank doG for the invention.

Good Luck with your girl

Just so you're aware, TheraPaw will give you 5 dollars off each boot if you mention that you have a rescue/adopted grey :) I've gotten the discount after the fact, even when I've forgotten to let them know (easiest to do this by phone), and they credited my account immediately. They're really wonderful to work with.

Good Luck with your girl

Just so you're aware, TheraPaw will give you 5 dollars off each boot if you mention that you have a rescue/adopted grey :) I've gotten the discount after the fact, even when I've forgotten to let them know (easiest to do this by phone), and they credited my account immediately. They're really wonderful to work with.

Oh ok I didn't know that -thanks for passing it along, I'll keep it in mind. Sounds like they are good people too :)