Cuffy Is Hurt!

Guest jurishound

Guest jurishound

I think 12.5 year old Cuffy injured himself chasing Stormy earlier today - and now he's limping badly on his front paw. I have some Rimadyl left over from Stormy's injury - is it okay to give it to Cuffy? Or would it be wiser to take him to the vet first?

Guest jurishound
Is there an e-vet you can call to ask?

Usually they say that he has to come in and be seen before they can offer an opinion . . . but I'll give it a try!

I am so sorry. Hope Cuffy is feeling better soon. I personally would not give this medication without lab work first. Please keep us posted. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest houndlover

I've given Rimadyl in the past if one of my dogs has limp from running in the yard but I always have them checked out if it persists for more than a couple of days. Hope your boy is feeling better in no time!

I would not give Rimadyl without the dog being seen by a veterinarian. The Rimadyl can mask the pain, and as Patricia said there should be lab work first. I hope it's nothing serious. :grouphug

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Guest jurishound

It is so hard to know what to think - I have always been speculative of Rimadyl, but my vet told me that it was very safe. When I called the other night, they didn't seem to think twice. Guess I should err on the conservative side, though it has clearly made him feel more comfortable.

THe product insert says blood tests "should be considered."

-1-For short term use, -2-in a healthy dog with a known medical history, -3-without kidney or bleeding issues, I give it without immediately prior bloodwork. Stopping at once if I have any doubts about the dog's reaction. My reasoning -- and my vets' -- is that under the aforementioned circumstances, the blood panel isn't useful. It won't give you a hint as to whether your dog might be one of the few who does have a bad reaction to it.

The alternative is to have a dog in pain.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

ETA: Getting in to see a vet as soon as possible is a good idea, tho. I'm not a big advocate of medicating without doing that. A day or two, with a med you know the dog can tolerate, is reasonable. Days on end, with a med the dog has never had before -- that isn't something I'd recommend.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.