Our Crisis With The Raw Diet

Guest shelbygirl07

Guest shelbygirl07

So I finally switched Shelby to the raw diet. My Louie has been veryyyyyyyyyyyy jealous! They both get raw meaty bones, but Louie’s, obviously since he is 1/7th her size, is significantly smaller. That way he can handle his and move it around.

Yesterday, I gave Shelby her raw breakfast. A nice big meaty, juicy steak. As she is chewing this, a hunk fell out of the side of her mouth (I’d say it was 2 inches by 1 inch) and landed on the floor. It took her a while to finish chewing what was in her mouth and pick up the scraps that she leaves behind. Louie ran over, snatched it and hi-tailed it into a random crate and tried to swallow it whole! The crate has a plastic bottom and there was no padding in there since it was being washed. We always keep a crate set up for our boarders in case there is an issue and one needs to be separated from our pack. Louie's toenails need to be cut (which I was going to do with his bi-weekly grooming yesterday) so you hear a click clack when he walks. I heard this noise like he was tap dancing in the crate but thought that he was just sliding around since he always does on the hard wood floors and tile. My mom was over with my 5-month-old nephew for a visit and she was in the living room. She was reading my nephew, CJ a book so she was a little distracted. When she looked up at him, she started screaming "SAM, SAM, GET IN HERE RIGHT AWAY!!! THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG WITH LOUIE". I ran out of the kitchen into the living room and saw this look of terror on my baby's face! I rushed over and pried his mouth open and there was this huuuuuuuuuuuuuge chunk of beef that was lodged in his throat. I tried to pull it out but I couldn't.. So I had to pick him up and perform the Heimlich maneuver on him. After about 45 seconds, it dislodged and plopped to the ground all covered in slime and mucus. Louie still wasn't breathing. His tongue and gums were black but he was conscious and alert. I had to hold his snout with my hand and blow into his nose to force open his trachea. At this point, he started horking and coughing from the amount of mucus in his passages from choking. I know if I choke on something, after I cough it up, I get the coughing and irritation followed by the mucus so I knew that was the problem. I picked Boo up off the floor and placed him on my lap on the couch and proceeded to massage him to loosen the tension in his body and I sang to him (as I often do). Shelby comes running over and starts licking his face with her massive tongue. He was in massive distress from the incident. I ran upstairs and grabbed his coolie-pad (a water filled mattress that pulls the heat from the dog's body and disperses it through the pad) and laid him on that, ran to the fridge and grabbed a freezie-pop and some tussigon. I crushed the tussigon and dissolved it in warm liquid then shot it down his throat.

He ate most of the freezie-pop, thank god. The cold brings the swelling down around his trachea and allows it to open back into its natural form. I sat with him on the couch for 12 hours watching him breath because it was such a serious incident. I couldn't bring myself to leave his side and neither did Shelby. We just sat there together, monitoring our baby.

THANK GOD I AM A RED CROSS PET FIRST AID INSTRUCTOR.... if I didn't have that training, I probably would have panicked. My mom said "my god, how is it that you can remain so calm in a crisis when I would be running around screaming at the top of my lungs for someone to help me". I told her that panicking in a situation doesn't help, it only makes matters worst. I learned that when we found out about Louie’s trachea problem to begin with. I panicked and made it 100% worst because I kept crying and freaking out. With dogs, since their main way of communication is energy, you have to keep a steady calm energy so they don't panic and make the problem worst for them.

Needless to say, I haven't slept at all and I was up all night with my emergency injection kit for him in case he stopped breathing during the night..

Come to find out, all is fine today. He is full of piss and vinegar, running around like nothing happened. I guess that is why I love dogs so much, the fact that they live in the moment. He went right back over and held a vigil at her bowl to wait for falling meat. This time, I was right there with him to snatch the meat away from him... He was not happy I did that..lmao

Silly baby!!!!!!!!!

Edited by shelbygirl07

OMG...how horrible. So happy the little guy is doing so well today. I think I would be feeding in different rooms after a scare like that! Hugs to all...so glad all is well. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest BlackandBrindle

So incredibly glad that all turned out well! :grouphug

What I do to prevent the food stealing is feed separately. Spud eats in the crate and Sadie in the foyer or outside, or vice versa.

In fact, I babygated Spud into the bedroom this morning so he'd leave Sadie alone while eating her breakfast (pig tails, and pork necks) but usually he just goes to lay down. That took MONTHS of training though :)

Guest shelbygirl07

She does eat in the living room but Louie scarfs his food down so fast that in a blink of an eye, he's in the living room holding a vigil under shelby's diner. We tried baby gating shelby into the living room but has anxiety over being taken out of the pack. It's strange because i often feed my room mates dog with our clan and she eats the sllllllooooooooooowest. So my dogs will hang out in the doorway of the living room to the kitchen and wait for her to walk away from her plate..lol

It's all about food in my house. Since switching to raw diet, we haven't had to muzzle shelby when we have been out because she has STOPPED surfing everything because she is feeling satisfied....

Guest BlackandBrindle

I know that feeling! Food is the supreme motivator in my house too!

It's interesting, because when I started feeding Spud raw, we FINALLY had a breakthrough in his separation anxiety. All that good seratonin that's being released from the chewing I think :nod

She does eat in the living room but Louie scarfs his food down so fast that in a blink of an eye, he's in the living room holding a vigil under shelby's diner. We tried baby gating shelby into the living room but has anxiety over being taken out of the pack. It's strange because i often feed my room mates dog with our clan and she eats the sllllllooooooooooowest. So my dogs will hang out in the doorway of the living room to the kitchen and wait for her to walk away from her plate..lol

It's all about food in my house. Since switching to raw diet, we haven't had to muzzle shelby when we have been out because she has STOPPED surfing everything because she is feeling satisfied....

Crate him in the same room. We have to do this with my female cat because she will push all the boy cats away from their food and steal it. Now, she runs to her crate for her food and sits there quietly until the other (non-crated) kitties finish :)

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

I'm so glad that Louie is OK. I agree, I would definitely seperate them until all the feeding is over, either by baby gate or crating.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Wow, how scary! I'm so glad everything is ok, but I'm sure you have some extra grey hairs from the incident!

He probably gulped it down in his excitement about having a stolen piece of food. I don't have any advice for you, but my two eat in their crates (in the same room). My mixed breed (approx. 35 lbs) gets a lot less food than my grey and she also eats it faster - if we didn't crate them I'd have to supervise the whole time. Now she's used to the routine and once she's finished eating she just snoozes in her crate. Her reward is that once the grey is finished, she is allowed to lick his crate clean. :P

Wow! I'm so glad that worked out well. Where do you teach this class?

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

Guest shelbygirl07

I am in massachusetts and travel anywhere in new england to get people certified in pet first aid. Your certification is through the Red Cross. THis is a class that give you hands on instruction on CPR and the Heimlich maneuver. We also go over crisis situations like first aid and disaster preparedness. I even give you a list of what to stock in your first aid kit and your disaster kit. I have 2 first aid kits. My animal one is 5 times larger than my human one..lol

It has everything in it from flashlights to extra batteries, a Pet CPR mask and splints. I am fully prepared! if i take my animals with me to do a photography shoot in the mountains or something, i always put my first aid kit into a back pack and carry it around with me. Imagine trying to carry a 70 pound greyhound down a mountain and to your car? I have made sure i bring an old sheet to fasten together a dolly from wood so i can drag her out instead of trying to carry her.

I also have a natural disaster kit stocked for my pets. I put it in a clothes basket that has wheels that way it can be dragged or carried. Included are canned goods for human and animal, dry goods for human and animal, bottles of water, insect repellant, dishes, Trash bags (incase you need water protection), Zip top baggies in all sizes, towels, blankets and extra leashes/collars, old tube socks (to use as an emergency muzzle) in case I have to rescue other animals as you are evacuating. That is only SOME of the items i have. There is also a list of emergency numbers... should be a 3-7 day supply depending on the type of disaster that may happen. I keep atleast 7 days but that's just me.... make sure you also throw in a hand can opener.. you don't want to be in the middle of a disaster and not have a can opener. if you feed raw diet, u might have an issue but i would be willing to risk the big D instead of my dog starving.

You can never be too prepared. (people think i'm anal)

Guest TBSFlame
OMG...how horrible. So happy the little guy is doing so well today. I think I would be feeding in different rooms after a scare like that! Hugs to all...so glad all is well. :grouphug

Yes, baby gates are wonderful things.

Guest LeighandSam

shelbygirl, thanks for sharing this story. I'm glad your pup is all better now. I am going to check with the red cross up here to see if they offer this type of class.

Guest Machbragal

Oh, my gosh this is SO horrible. Thank GOD you had the necessary training. It's a great lesson for all of us. I hope that Louie is feeling better today.