Uh Oh- Rimadyl Question

Guest HeatherDemps

Guest HeatherDemps

DH fed the dogs while I was out tonight. WhenI got home, I found part of Dempsey's Rimadyl pill on the floor. The IG usually tries to eat his food if Dempsey doesn't finish it. I have no way of knowing if Dempsey ate the pill and dropped part of it or if Peyton (IG) got ahold of it and ate most of it. He is about 15 pounds only. Is this a big problem? Obviously, wrong dog getting a drug is never good, but what do I need to watch for?

I would call an e-vet and ask them.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Guest IGmom4now

Hey,

My vet just gave my IG (about 12 lbs.) some NSAIDs Carprofen, which I believe is a generic of Rimadyl, and a muscle relaxant ( because he pulled a muscle trying to scoot under the baby gate, but that's another story...)

She says 1/2 tablet (25 mg tablet) every 12 hours. With food, that kind of stuff can cause extra gastric acid, etc....

Edited because I couldn't read the label on the vet's bottle...

Edited by IGmom4now

Guest HeatherDemps

Thanks everyone.

Talked to DH and he had cut Dempsey's Rimadyl in 1/2 so IF Peyton did get ahold of it, he only had about 1/4 of the pill since 1/4 was on the floor. There was also some food on the floor so I think Demps probably just spit it out- Peyton is a little scavenger and doesn't leave food behind. :) I did call the e-vet and was told we are fine. I've just been a little jumpier than usual with everything that is going on with Dempsey now....

Thanks again!