A New Year - A New Darcy Thread

Bevd

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Decided to call the vet at half 8 because I'm not happy with Darcy. She sounds very chesty and I don't know why. She's also been sick again and is obviously feeling very poorly so we are off to the vets now (I'm just waiting for Marc to get changed).

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Oh drat. I'm sorry, Bev. Hope she is feeling much better soonest!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

We're back. This dose of Doxorubacin has made her quite poorly (obviously). The risk with this drug is that it can damage the heart but usually, the dog is pretty safe until a certain amount has been given. Without going into techinal figures (I can remember that the safe dose is 300 somethings), Darcy has only actually had 100 somethings so really, there shouldn't be a problem but it does look as if there has been some damage to her heart. It's not massive damage but it is irreversable. The vet said that every 30 heart beats or so, there was a bit of an irregularity (which wasn't the case before). Anyway, that's that and there's nothing we can do about it so there's no point worrying about it. I just hope that as it's done some damage to her good bits, it's also done well at blasting the crappy bits.

He checked her pulse which was good and noted that her gums are a much deeper red than normal (this is another effect of the drug). He said there was a slight crackle in her lungs but nothing much but he gave her a duiretic medication to get rid of any build up of fluid.

He also gave her a shot of antibiotic (as we'd not been able to get her to take tablets and anyway, she'd have lost them by now) and he also gave her something which I said looked like tile grout :unsure It's some paste stuff which lines the gut. We got some of that to bring home and she has to have it twice a day (she'll be delighted). I've also got a giant syringe (60ml) and a big box of powdered glucose.

He wants to see her again tomorrow so she has an appointment for 4.40pm.

She's now laying on the couch and just before I started typing, she barfed again.

Poor Darcy :err:

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Oh dear! Woebegone Darcy, hang in there sweetie and let the proper meds do the good stuff for you. And don't get upset when your mommie comes after you with the yummie grout--trust her, it's the very latest in canine yummies!

gallery_14387_3165_6886.jpg

Patsy and DH with the Humane Society specials, Linus & Jazz, in North Dakota

Monday morning update. Darcy is still feeling very poorly with the added side effect of big D (x 2 so far).

Feel better Darcy! :grouphug

Melanie and Eric with Leminim and Eieio and silly kitty Elsa.
See you again someday, my sweet Payton (Flying Payton May 9, 2000-March 18, 2012)
Missing my sweet JJ, world's sweetest cat (April 1997-November 30, 2015)

Stealing food in heaven, my darling Minnie (2006-April 21, 2016)
Reunited with her favorite person in heaven, my Dad, Satin the skittish kitty (2002-May 7, 2016)

We're back from the vets but Darcy has stayed to go on a drip :( He may also run some lab tests but I'm not sure what.

I've got to phone in the morning.

:(

Many prayers and good thoughts on the way for Darcy! :candle:hope:candle:hope

Is her tummy still upset from the chemo, or is the medication to blame?

Edited by Greylover97

gallery_24215_3397_4722.jpg

Carolina (R and A Carolina) & Rebel (FA Ready).
At the bridge: Kira (Driven by Energy) 7/19/97 - 6/17/04 & Jake (Jumpstart Dude) 9/12/00 - 1/24/15

I think it's from the chemo but the anti sickness drugs seemed to hinder rather than help because they didn't stop her being sick and they made her drool a lot.

Morning.

I've just spoken to the vet and the upshot is that Darcy is no worse and if anything, slightly better.

She's had lots of fluids overnight but had quite severe diarrhoea. She's not had any sickness (although she's not had any food or medication by mouth so...). Her heart rate was fast and a bit irregular yesterday (although I didn't know this :eek) but today, it's settling down. Her blood tests were OK - liver is fine, kidneys were a little off yesterday because of her fluid loss but he said they will be OK now (no damage or anything). She's had painkillers so he said she's a bit subdued from those.

I asked if he thinks this is 'just' a reaction to the Doxorubicin and he said yes, he does. He thinks she has had what he called an 'over reaction'.

If Darcy had been having her chemo treatment at the cancer centre, she'd have finished her treatment after this 4th dose. But, because she had been doing so well, the idea was to give her an extra dose or two of Carboplatin. I asked the vet this morning, whether Darcy would now still have another dose (or two) of this other drug and he said that the Carboplatin is less likely to give her such 'systemic symptoms' if she did react to it but I think we all agree that giving another dose is now highly debatable. We'll have to discuss it more but I just know that we do not want her to go through this again.

The plan for today is that they are going to syringe some food into her this morning and see how she does with that and we're going in to visit her this afternoon. She'll definately stay with them for another day though.

Guest TaniandMalachy

So relieved to hear there has been some improvement in Darcy's condition over night, Bev.

Poor girlie! Lots of good thoughts that Darcy is feeling much better soon. :hope:grouphug