Thyroid And Weight Loss

Guest greycious_gal

Guest Che_mar_Cody

My grandma had major problems and MAJOR weight GAIN

are we talking human or animal?

Edited by Che_mar_Cody

My grey Scooby had a very low thyroid and I couldn't keep weight on him. He gained 5# shortly after being put on thyroid. Seems to me there is someone else too....I'll keep thinking :)

Many vets don't think of weight loss as a hypothyroid condition but when you think about it: the thyroid is the engine for the body. If it's off, all kinds of things can go wrong!

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

None, in dogs (or people who proved to be hypothyroid). All those I've known personally had pretty classic signs -- lethargy and/or weight gain.

Depending on the other symptoms, I associate weight loss with IBD, pancreatic insufficiency, and cancer. Pancreatic insufficiency is the easiest one to test for, tho an x-ray/ultrasound to rule out growths and other oddities can be a big help (and might be cheaper -- I don't know what the pancreas test costs these days).

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest gretzky

Wonder is on .8 Soloxine twice a day. She had gained a lot of weight prior to diagnosis, had the lethargy, shedding, bald spot on her tail. She has lost only a few pounds in 3 months on meds but boy, she has the fluffiest coat now!

I'm waiting on Michigan state for the results of a thyroid panel we just did on Mikee. He has lost 10lbs since last March. We have done a ton of blood work including a tick panel from Protatek and the only abnormal he has had was the t4 and I don't remember if it was high or low. We ran a tsh at a local lab but it was normal. He just had a dental done and is eating better but is still not himself. I'll post when we get the results.

The problem when they are put on the soloxine is that they are always starving to death! My poor Chloe has managed to keep her weight status quo, but she is much more food aggressive since the increase in soloxine. It's hard for her not to gain but I really try and monitor. The only thing she gets that she shouldn;t is Polli's snack that's left in the morning IF Polli isn't interested. I can see on the webcam and then I deduct from dinner.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

I had a terrbile time keeping weight on Ziggy when he was young. He was diagnosed as hypothyroid around 18mos old and once he started on the drugs the weight improved quickly. He was diagnosed with allergies a few months later as well....the vet explained teh two(thyroid issues and allergies) often went hand in hand. Once we got the allergy issues sorted out he really filled out to a proper weight with a shiny coat.

He was young when all this went on so it was surely a combination of age, thyroid and allergy. He's been on the thyroid meds for seven years now and hasn't had any weight issues - heavy or light - since.