Any Ideas To Help Reduce Scarring?

Does anyone have suggestions for cream or ointment I can use on Grace's neck to help reduce the scarring? It's also itchy, so something with the consistency of aloe gel or lotion would probably be soothing as well. Any ideas?

Here's what we are working with....

Burpdog9.jpg

Edited by gracegirl

Tessie, PK's Cat Island 12/9/13
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace, 18156/23B), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), and Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound)

Have you identified the cause yet?

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Gosh, she looks great! I would go with pure aloe vera gel - very soothing.

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

As a result of surgery she had 20 staples and 4 drains running up the length of her neck....the vet shaved her fuzz down and it's starting to grow back already. She's well into the healing stage, but it's itchy and gets angry red when she scratches since she has no fur to protector her. She's wearing an old leg of a sweatpant on her neck to keep her from scratching it directly.

Edited by gracegirl

Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace, 18156/23B), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), and Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound)

As a result of surgery she had 20 staples and 4 drains running up the length of her neck....the vet shaved her fuzz down and it's starting to grow back already. She's well into the healing stage, but it's itchy and gets angry red when she scratches since she has no fur to protector her. She's wearing an old leg of a sweatpant on her neck to keep her from scratching it directly.

Stupid me, sorry. I've had sucess with vitamin e oil on my own forming scar tissue.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

We used vitamin E on Argos's belly and side after injuries and I guess it helped, although his hair never grew back. It looks like Grace is well on her way to covering it up her own self! The oil may help with the itching though. She looks GREAT!

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

Any type of moisturizer would probably help reduce the itching. Mix a little Cortaid cream with it, just a dab.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest VelvetEars

For Jane, when she was post-stroke and re-learning to walk, with subsequently very scraped up paws, belly, and legs - I mixed 3 oz of aloe gel with 30 drops of lavender essential oil and applied several times/day. She doesn't have a single scar, and she never scratched at anything while it was healing (lavender calms any itchy-ness and is also an antibacterial agent, and doesn't burn or sting).

Guest Tenderhearts

Vitamin E oil. I bought the capsules and broke them open. I had surgery on both arms at the elbow back in 98 and that is what was suggested. I can honestly say the scars are so faint today that you can barely see them. Massage the oil in well and work the area where the scar tissue is forming :)

Thanks everyone. I will get some Vit E at the store this weekend, I swear I had some at home but after a high and low search of my house last night I came up empty. In the meantime, I am using some calendula cream that I found in aforementioned search.