Hot Spots

Guest Downtownhoundz

Guest greytful4

Kylie has been licking and licking and licking the inside of her front leg until she has it so raw. Don't know why she has started doing this unless she picks up on my own stress level. I've been putting cortisone creme on it sparingly and thought of bandaging it. What else can I do to get her to STOP THAT !!!!

Guest sugarmom

Can you put a long sleeved T-shirt on her (with the sleeves rolled up so her paws are clear)? My Sugar worried a hot spot where she had been shaved for an IV. Didn't matter what I put on it - tried EMT spray - she keep licking until it was a bloody mess. The T-shirt has done the trick for us. I guess out of sight out of mind. I still put some EMT gel on to protect the hot spot, but it is healing nicely now.

Sulfadine! This stuff worked WONDERS on my terrier mix, who always used to have hotspots at the base of her tail. It also cleared up an eczema rash Lucy got last winter on her belly.

You can buy it at your local pet store... it comes in a plastic bottle (bright yellow liquid) and is fairly cheap.

Jen

I used to use witch hazel with aloe for my licky boy. I found that the cause of the problem was allergies, specifically in his ears & he licked the inside of his thigh for comfort. Once I got his allergies under control, he didn't lick any more hot spots.

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis