Homeopathic For Anxiety,trying A New One

Guest orchidman

Nik, which ingredient is not homeopathic?

The fact that it has any active ingredients in measurable quantity means that it is not Homeopathic.

Chamomile and Hops, and maybe the other stuff, are naturally mild tranquilisers and well known natural treatments for anxiety in humans as well as animals. I'm sure it's effective and could be a very good treatment for anxiety in dogs.

But it is not Homeopathic.

FYI - I won't have Homeopathic medications in the house. They are a rip-off - pure and simple.

Can you expand on that, please? Why does having measurable quanitites of what are normally considered homeopathic ingredients make something non-homeopathic?

**signed, confused in Georgia**

Apparently, the fact that it has active ingredients doesn't make it non-homeopathic, it's just that homeopathic "meds" are normally so diluted as to not have active ingredients. At least, according to what I've read. I'm absolutley no expert here. I used to use a lot of herbal treatments and still do on occasion.

I'd always thought homeopathic and herbal were the same, but apparently not :lol Anyway, here's an interesting article about homeopathy - not related to veterinary medicine, but very informative nonetheless. Homeopathy

Edited by turbotaina

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Guest TriciasZoo

OK, setting the homeopathy/herbal discussion aside, since that wasn't really my point in the beginning. Is this a SAFE potentially helpful "supplement" for Bebe since I don't like to see her taking the Ace. unless it's absolutely necessary.

Trish and Bebe

Guest longdogs
No, I won't deny her something to help, and I HAD to use the Ace
Sorry but this is mistaken and I certainly will vote that giving NO medication sometimes can be the best thing to do. There are behavioural approaches too, just think of the human equivalent: if someone is anxious you can give them a pill or you can help them feel less anxious. To take it a step further, what if the pill isn't Prozac or similar that might really make them feel less anxious but a narcotic that leaves them just as fearful but less able to express their anxiety? Who is the pill for, the sufferer or the observer? I am not saying there is intentional cruelty here, I used Ace on William too but I now know better. Instead of pills we got into a routine where he sought out his 'safe place' and stayed there until he was ready to come out. Yes he was anxious but his anxiety was controlled by his feeling of safety and the comfort of his routine. If you choose to help your dog with drugs you need to get something that really works (which might be the 'homeopathic' pills you actually used).

With regard to homeopathy, the theory requires the use of a substance that produces a similar effect to the condition you are trying to treat - eg using something that will make you sick and feverish if you are treating a fever - then diluting it into vanishingly small concentrations. In fact, the more dilute, the stronger the preparation is supposed to be. Most homeopathic remedies are quite simply water or some other solvent. If that sounds unlikely to work, the theory goes that water retains an imprint of the substances it has dissolved. Obviously if this is true we are at severe risk of homeopathic effects anytime we take a drink. I won't make any further comment. Use it yourself if you want to, the placebo effect is real and strong, but it doesn't work on animals because they have no concept of being cured by a magic potion.

The pills you used were 'herbal' rather than homeopathic and contain quantities of known tranquilisers, as Nik says, so there is a good chance they could actually help. The drawback with herbal remedies is inconsistent concentration of the active ingredient. A given weight of a herb might contain a lot or none at all, with no real way of knowing.