Homeopathic For Anxiety,trying A New One

Guest orchidman

Guest TriciasZoo

I ran across a homeopathic for Anxiety in dogs and grabbed a bottle to try with Beebs when it storms. She has Ace. and yes it works wonders, but I have a completely zoned out Beebs, likely because she is so tiny, that even the lowest dose is a bit strong. It's better than seeing her terrified though. Pet-Eze for Dogs is what I just picked up and was interested if anyone has tried it, and their thoughts.

Here's the composition(per tablet):

Chamomile 45mg

Dried Hops 45mg

Ginger Root Extract 35mg

l-Taurine 20mg

l-Tryptophan 10mg

Inactive ingredients: Cellulose, Dried Brewers Yeast, Dried WHey, Liver Meal, Magnesium Silicate, Magnesium Stearate, Silicon Dioxide, and Stearic Acid.

For adult dogs only and make sure your dog has plenty of water when using this product. Made by 21st Century Pet Nutrition and Made in the USA.

Over 20lb dogs one (1) chewable per 10 lbs daily. Not to exceed four (4) chewables daily. For intermittent use only. Do not exceed seven (7) days at a time.

There's a possibility of some storms early tomorrow morning, so I was thinking of giving her some before bed.

Edited by TriciasZoo

Guest LadyChester

I used Ace for a short time with one of mine who suddenly developed thunderphobia. I thought it was a relatively innocuous medication and I gave her a small dose when needed and it did the trick. I did that for a few months UNTIL I talked to a friend of mine who is a vet. Apparently, Ace does NOTHING to reduce the anxiety. The dog is still just as anxious and/or terrified, but it inhibits the response. What a terrible feeling that must be! I felt so awful when I heard that and will never touch the stuff again. It makes us feel better because we don't have to watch/listen to their fear, but it benefits us, not the dog. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but this is my understanding.

I've used Pet-Eze on our JRT, she has terrible anxiety over storms/fireworks. It seemed to work, I keep looking for more of it but can't find it. I wouldn't say it took away her fears entirely, but it certainly took the edge off so she wasn't pacing the floors.

Good luck with it!!

Guest TriciasZoo
I've used Pet-Eze on our JRT, she has terrible anxiety over storms/fireworks. It seemed to work, I keep looking for more of it but can't find it. I wouldn't say it took away her fears entirely, but it certainly took the edge off so she wasn't pacing the floors.

Good luck with it!!

Thanks!! I'll definitely post when I have something to post. LOL! That's really what I want, to take the edge off, make her a little less anxious. I Have panic disorder and severe panic attacks myself, so I know how she feels, and yes I know what it's like when the med takes away the physical responses but you do still have the fear aspect.

Guest shelbygirl07

the brewer's yeast is the reason that she needs to gave access to plenty of water. It can, in some dogs, raise their body temperature. Be careful not to give to much of the yeast because it has been known to cause heatstroke due to the temp increase. Especially in dogs that are stressed.

I was putting brewer's yeast in my regular variety of home-made dog cookies and my vet told me to remove it for that reason. I have 18 varieties of regular and 11 flavors in wheat/free, gluten/free, and hypo allergenic (for my clients who's dogs have food allergies). All of my recipes were developed with the help of my vet.

Guest longdogs
I used Ace for a short time with one of mine who suddenly developed thunderphobia. I thought it was a relatively innocuous medication and I gave her a small dose when needed and it did the trick. I did that for a few months UNTIL I talked to a friend of mine who is a vet. Apparently, Ace does NOTHING to reduce the anxiety. The dog is still just as anxious and/or terrified, but it inhibits the response. What a terrible feeling that must be! I felt so awful when I heard that and will never touch the stuff again. It makes us feel better because we don't have to watch/listen to their fear, but it benefits us, not the dog. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but this is my understanding.

That's what the research says. It's great for things like travel sickness, bad for managing fear. I regret using it on William who was badly thunder-phobic. Letting him quietly hide somewhere was a much better treatment.

How is that a 'homeopathic remedy' when it has measurable quantities of active ingredients? Unless of course it is ultra low-strength... I wouldn't ever use homeopathic remedies on an animal - people can make their own choices.

Guest LadyChester

Ace isn't homeopathic ... I was just commenting on Tricia's original post about using ace and wanting to move to a homeopathic solution. I think lots of folks use ace and don't know this, or they probably wouldn't use it.

Pet-Eze for Dogs is what I just picked up and was interested if anyone has tried it, and their thoughts.

Here's the composition(per tablet):

Chamomile 45mg

Dried Hops 45mg

Ginger Root Extract 35mg

l-Taurine 20mg

l-Tryptophan 10mg

Certainly not Homeopathic.

Guest TriciasZoo
Nik, which ingredient is not homeopathic?

Exactly

Exactly. And I seem to be getting this attitude that I shouldn't give her anything for the storm anxiety. I know no one has come out and said that, but it's the tone. I could be interpreting it wrong, since this is the internet and written word with no inflection or real explanations. I realize the effect drugs like Ace. have as I take medicine for anxiety myself, but I still wouldn't be without it if a bad panic attack hit.

I'm sitting here chomping on some Rescue Remedy lozenges. I certainly wouldn't deny my dog something if it calmed her fears, Tricia, and I know you wouldn't either. :)

Exactly

Exactly. And I seem to be getting this attitude that I shouldn't give her anything for the storm anxiety. I know no one has come out and said that, but it's the tone. I could be interpreting it wrong, since this is the internet and written word with no inflection or real explanations. I realize the effect drugs like Ace. have as I take medicine for anxiety myself, but I still wouldn't be without it if a bad panic attack hit.

Agree with Lady Charlotte and others, I have read the same things and fortunately never used it on my girl with severe storm phobias. I don't think anyone was criticizing, just sharing that ACE is not a drug for anxieties and can make things worse for our dogs. I was lucky enough to read some articles about meds before I adopted a dog with serious phobias. We've had good success with Xanax for storm/rain/wind anxiety, you might want to try that. And here's a link to a very thorough article on medicating for anxiety. It originally appeared in the Whole Dog Journal and covers every type of med you could consider for your pup.

Chill Pills

Guest TriciasZoo

No, I won't deny her something to help, and I HAD to use the Ace. today. But I have a calm, resting pup, who's also in her storm defender cape and she's not totally zonked out. She just ate a good meal, and took her supplements. :)

Guest EmilyAnne

Tricia, I know what it's like to watch your dog suffer from severe anxiety. Henry becomes very anxious easily and it is heartbreaking to watch. :( I too would never deny Henry something that could help him. I have done Rescue Remedy and Homeopet so far. The Rescue Remedy works best if dosed every ten minutes till Henry calms down, the Homeopet I found worked even better than the Rescue Remedy, and only one dose was needed and seemed to kick in within 10-15 minutes. I wish I had something of prescription strength from the vet on hand before we went on vacation as Henry was besides himself when we first got here, for a whole day and a half. I honestly considered taking him to an emergency vet because it was so bad. Fortunately he is doing much better now. Next trip I intend to be better prepared.

I am glad to hear Beebs is resting comfortably tonight. :)

Guest EmilyAnne
The only one I have experience with is HomeoPet Anxiety. I am beyond impressed with it and highly recommend it.

Is that for cats and dogs? or just dogs?

It's for both. We bought it originally for our kitty for the three day drive, but found it works well on Henry our grey too. It is made for both dogs and cats. Birds too.

Guest TriciasZoo

Beebs did really well during the worst of the weather, between the Ace and her storm defender cape. I have had times when all she's needed was the cape if I catch the weather quick enough.

The fact that it has any active ingredients in measurable quantity means that it is not Homeopathic.

Chamomile and Hops, and maybe the other stuff, are naturally mild tranquilisers and well known natural treatments for anxiety in humans as well as animals. I'm sure it's effective and could be a very good treatment for anxiety in dogs.

But it is not Homeopathic.

FYI - I won't have Homeopathic medications in the house. They are a rip-off - pure and simple.

The fact that it has any active ingredients in measurable quantity means that it is not Homeopathic.

Chamomile and Hops, and maybe the other stuff, are naturally mild tranquilisers and well known natural treatments for anxiety in humans as well as animals. I'm sure it's effective and could be a very good treatment for anxiety in dogs.

But it is not Homeopathic.

FYI - I won't have Homeopathic medications in the house. They are a rip-off - pure and simple.

Can you expand on that, please? Why does having measurable quanitites of what are normally considered homeopathic ingredients make something non-homeopathic?

**signed, confused in Georgia**

Mary Semper Fi, Dad - I miss you. Remembering Carla Benoist, a Greyhound/Pibble's bestest friend, Princess Zoe Brick-Butt, the little IG with the huge impact on hearts around the world - Miz Foxy - Greyhound Trish - Batman, the Roman-nosed Gentleman - Profile, the Handsome Man - Hunky the Hunkalicious - Jeany the Beautiful Lady- Zema, the most beautiful girl in the world - Jessie, the lovable nuisance - and my 3 Greys: my Angie-girl, my Casey-girl, and The Majestic Pippin, running forever in my heart. (I will always love you and miss you,my friends)