Ear Cyst/growth?

Guest GreytfulJack

Guest GreytfulJack

My Jack will be 10 in April, is in excellent health, both physically and mentally and hasn't had any medical issues to date. Hurray!!!!

Last night, I felt this cyst/growth/thing on his ear. It's located on the outside, lower curve part, where there is the soft 'double flap', if you will. It feels rough, almost dryish on one side. It is definitely attached and does not move beneath the thin skin. I'd say it is about the size of half a cherry. I'll call my vet on Monday but does anyone have any ideas about this? I did a search but didn't come up with much.

Thanks-

Tracy and 'Jack'

Edited by GreytfulJack

Mine has what looks like a wart on the tip of his ear. I took him the the vet (for other things) about a month ago and she said to bring him back in a month or two if it doesn't go away. I think the vet wants to biopsy it. Looks harmless enough to me, but ugly.

Guest HeatherDemps

Mine doesn't have anything like this on his ear but he has different small lumps/bumps in different places that turn out to be nothing. Good idea to get it checked out though!

Guest GreytfulJack

Thanks for the input - I didn't consider a wart! I guess I think of warts only on the feet... He's getting older - any lump is a scary lump but hopefully it's nothing!

Good to get it looked at but in that location it's likely something simple like a sebaceous cyst or ingrown hair.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

• 2 weeks later...

I know there have been several recent posts about skin "lumps." My greyhound also has a pea size growth on the tip of his ear. It looked to me like a wart. I showed it to the vet about 2 months ago, who said bring the dog back in a month or two if it doesn't resolve. It has actually gotten larger. So I just took the dog back. The vet said it doesn't look like a wart, but like a histio?, because it bleeds easily and a wart would be harder, tougher & more like a cauliflower. My dog's lump is pretty smooth. The vet did not biopsy it. She said that because of my greyhound's age (4 1/2 YO) it is most likely benign. She said if it were located most anywhere else on the dog's body, it would be simple to remove lickety split right then & there. But because it is on his ear, it would bleed profusely & so need to be stiched. And stiches require sedation. So I passed.

Just thought I would share this info with you. Because their ears are so full of blood vessels, minor surgery is not so minor.