445 members have voted

1. 1. How often does your grey play?

• Constantly, barely leaving time for eating, sleeping and pooping
    • Most of the time but still having minimal downtime
    • Even amounts of time with other activities
    • Sometimes, likes other activities like running and roaching
    • Occassionally, more important stuff to do but will play when bored
    • Never, can't be bothered with toys

Bentley is a player, every morning he will grab a toy and play with it for about 10 to 20 seconds. He will try to destroy any stuffy he can get his paw on and in the backyard he will play for about 10 min with a rubber toy or ball.

This is how he plays with....

his kong....

Destroying a stuffed rabbit

in the backyard

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJjVtFhDc-E

• 7 months later...
  • Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I am relieved. I wondered about Desi. He's NEVER been interested in toys. When he first came to me, my old Skeeter dog (13yo, lab/beagle mix)

was so excited....he brought every toy from the toy basket, one by one, & dropped them at Desi's feed. No response. Then he picked them up & played with

them, like he was showing him what to do. No response. I bought him a big stuffed bunny, thinking perhaps he'd like a toy of his very own, now a "used"

one. He sat on the couch with it, sniffed it all over, sqeaked an ear once, then pushed it off to Skeeter. It's like he considers himself above such

nonsense. Good to hear it's not an uncommon trait. Guess I'll just love him as he is.

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

Guest aeroangie

Since my newly adopted Grey is under a year old...it's hard for me to believe this is really a question. If he isn't muzzled, everything in the house...shoes, cushions, pillows, curtains, pills, spices, trash...are all his...and he will bring them to my bed for my pleasure too. In fact, he "throws" these things up in the room for my delight! All for me, right????

I have for him at least 20 toys or other chewables. He likes dirty underwear over all that!

Hershey is constantly playing and tossing toys in the air never know where to find them when she is done

The boys sometimes follow suit with Hershey but lately noticing them running and playing that way

EZ will grab a toy or something when he is excited such as when I am getting dinner or breakfast ready - today he grabbed Nedra's coat that I just finished off of the sewing table and took into the living room.

It is better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all

Missing my Big Blue eyed Bear

Guest Lgyure85

Maddie only likes toys as long as they squeak. She walks around squeaking them over and over. Unfortunately her brother is a Boston Terrier, so those squeakers don't last very long.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest racergirl435

We had Seymour 4 years and he never played with toys. The closest he ever came was eating peanut butter out of a Kong. Our lab was his toy but even her he would only "play" with in the yard. He just wasn't interested. Some dogs just aren't. Yours might eventually be once she really figures out she's home forever and is truly comfortable. Even after our Seymour's personality started coming out, he didn't play with toys.

mine with play with toys but then they will also grab pillows, and some of my items to play with (if I am sewing I had better keep those items out of reach) - caught EZ stealing a gh coats I was making plus he ate a pair of support hose - the rascal

It is better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all

Missing my Big Blue eyed Bear

• 1 month later...

felix has aways played, he came to us at 7 weeks. but annie, who came last winter at 2.5 yrs has LEARNED from felix. it's a case of the monkey do, monkey see syndrome. the two are attached at the hip and she now even retrieves sticks when we throw them! tennis balls and soccer balls she took to immediatly, squeaky toys...the two can make you crazy honking away!

Guest spaztastic_fam

Derby just started playing in front of me with Wimbly a few months ago and I have had her for almost one year. At first she wouldn't play with anything and then I heard a loud crash in the back room...she was playing with my slipper but as soon as she saw me she stopped and looked at me like "What?" Wimbly (my border collie) has helped her learn to play with different toys (but she is still afraid of the kongs) Some dogs never really learn to play with toys...but you could try a little peanut butter on a rope toy to see if it get them interested

• 2 weeks later...
Guest dizzyLu72

If there is a squeaky ball (not squeaky toy.. but a squeaky BALL).. Jacob will play till he can't stand up anymore. I don't know what it is.. but he will exhaust himself and put all the squeaky balls in the SB graveyard. I have to take them away from him because he will shred them to their death.. but if they have any squeak left in them.. he will play away.. which also includes a big pile of drool. I usually have to take them away from him (in a wrestling match type of struggle) but if not, I think he would play with them until he made himself sick.

Edited by dizzyLu72

Guest cwholsin

Wow! Such a wide variety of play styles here! Hermes will still only play occasionally. He started playing with his first toy the first day or two that we got him and then didn't play again for a month or so! Hopefully, since he has shown interest in toys, he'll be playing like a champ in another 7 months (we've had him 3). Watching him play makes me sooooooooooo happy...when he'll do it of course! rolleyes.gif

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
Guest CampWhippet

Mine play like crazy manics. big zoomies and sprints down the lake shore.... when Sammie wants a break she just dives into the lake and Tansy will only follow up to her knees.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Jeff_S

Friday played with toys the day we brought her home. Tossing them up into the air and spinning to catch them. Sadly that is the most vigorous exercise she gets. We have a large yard that she has yet to run in. When not playing with toys everything is at a slow pace. We walk twice a day with one walk being 2 miles but she takes it very slow. She'll occasionally perk up at the sight of a squirrel or a distant jogger but quickly goes back into tortoise mode. She's taken her retirement seriously.

Guest mollieandme

This was hard to answer because Mollie rarely plays and Maggie plays occasionally. Rocko plays more and often alone. He doesn't understand playing with me yet- he assumes I'm taking the toy. He usually throws the stuffie to himself. He seems happy with it though.

Guest RichardUK

Ben, Brian. Bambi never played with any toy - wasn't interested at all. I tried throwing them - they just looked. They all liked chasing each other around the yard.

Beauty chewed toys to destruction within 15 minutes but did not play with them.

My newest three are different for some reason. Beamer has always played with toys from day one - squeaking them and tossing them, they also last a long time without destruction - up to three years

Blackie is only interested occasionally with toys - he is obsessed with invading cats - virtually standing guard 24/7 ready to rush outside to chase them away.

Blondie has set times to play - triggered by "walkies" time when she rushes around madly throwing toys all over the place (I often find them on the top of the 10ft high bookcases) with an enormous grin! :)

Guest RichardUK

Beamer will play tug of war with me but only with the toy she is already playing with. But she never puts her heart in it.

Forgotten to mention that Blackie will only play "fetch and eat" with obvious pleasure. if it is food - everything else is ignored.

Brutus my old GSD would approach carrying a rope - growling furiously - enormous smile on his face and his whole body wagging furiously - we would play very hard accompanied by furious growling until I said "enough". I really miss the old lad though he died at 20 yo over 15 years ago.

Edited by RichardUK

Guest june

My girls tend to play when I get home grabbing stuffies and running around with them, bringing them to me to play "tug" and just laying down and squeaking them. They really love their chew bones and will often carry them around and outside. They love to run in the yard several times a day and,of course, love their power naps. :P

june

Guest RichardUK

Beamer and Blondie both will throw bones in the air with gay abandon - I've been hit many times by a flying large real bone! :) So far they haven't broken anything yet - but the bones have hit the ceiling! :)

• 1 month later...
Guest bluefiggie

My current foster Eddy plays fetch. He has brought the ball back to me 6 times in a row.

Starling will play with a squeak toy every now and then however she hoards them all in the back of her crate. When playing fetch with Eddy, she just looks at us like we are crazy.