1. 1. How often does your grey play?

• Constantly, barely leaving time for eating, sleeping and pooping
    • Most of the time but still having minimal downtime
    • Even amounts of time with other activities
    • Sometimes, likes other activities like running and roaching
    • Occassionally, more important stuff to do but will play when bored
    • Never, can't be bothered with toys

Guest shelbygirl07

I have tried everything to get Shelby to play with toys but she isn't the least bit interested.

I have spent a ton of money on Chew, squeaky, Grunty, rubber, canvas, rope and balls of all sizes and she just looks at them and walks away. I don't get it.

are there other grey out there with the same problem?

How can I get her interested in playing? Any suggestions?

Edited by shelbygirl07

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest TBSFlame

Tessie never lets anyone see her play. I know she does sometimes because I have caught her but she will stop as soon as she knows you are looking. Flame just started playing with stuffies after 4 years. It was after the playing machine, Sweet memories, came to live here. rolleyes.gif

I see this has come back. lol. I posted this when I had a different pack of hounds. Tessie is gone now. I have Riley and Jeremy. Since Riley has come to live here she has turned this house into a playing machine. Memmie is now playing a lot more due to the silly Riley girl. It's funny how things change.

Edited by TBSFlame

I read one time that a grey owner whose dog didn't play actually got down on all fours and tried to "show" the hound what to do. I believe it eventually worked. Maybe getting together with a grey that does play and could show her how!

How long have you had your pup? I could be she is still not "comfy" yet and will eventually play in time when she feels more at home.

Good luck!

Kim, Silver and Holly

<p>Kim and the hound - Rumor
Missing my angels Marlow, Silver, Holly and Lucky

Guest RocketDog

Our boy played with a stuffy the morning after he came home, but our girl has taken more time to 'open up' with playing... the first month or so, she didn't play at all, then we started catching her playing with stuffies when she thought we weren't looking, and now she'll play-bow and toss it around for a minute or two even if we're watching. They are just starting to interact with each other, too.

Guest shelbygirl07

Oh i did get down on all fours and played with her toys, like a dog. I got other dogs involved. All she wants to do is lay around and watch everyone and everything but seldom interracts with other objects. I have a giant box filled will all kinds of toys that you can think of, even a Kong. I filled the kong with peanut butter and she turned her nose up at it when she realized how much work it would be to get the peanut butter out. I bought her a goodie ball that you fill with treats and when you roll it around the floor, treats pop out. it is so sad to think that she might be bored but i don't really think that is the case. it's straaaaaaaaaaaaange

i have had shelby since July.

I've had Inu for over two years. While he would chew like mad at a *new* toy until it died from the minute I brought him home I wouldn't say he was playing. He has just started picking up toys that are in the toy box and playing with them, tossing them and wagging his tail. Patience.

Colleen with Covey (Admirals Cove) and Rally (greyhound puppy)
Missing my beloved boy INU (CJ Whistlindixie) my sweetest princess SALEM (CJ Little Dixie) and my baby girl ZOE (LR's Tara)

Guest D_MansMommy

Both of my boys love to play. They run in the back yard and play with their stuffies in the house. I swear one day the plaster ceiling is going to fall down from their shanagins upstairs :lol

I couldn't vote in your poll because none of the answers were right.

My dog, who I've had for 8 months, almost never plays. He has a stuffy he carries around with him, and he does squeak that, but I'd say his play is less than 5 minutes a day.

My old dog wanted to play almost all the time, for his entire 12 years! So to me, this is kind of a welcome change!

It isn't that he's bored or unhappy--it just isn't his thing.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

It took Raven a long time to relax enough to play with toys, but once she did... look out! She prefers to play with people and other dogs, though. Argus had to be taught how to play with toys and mostly preferred snuggling with them... and he was kind of a socially awkward boy with other dogs. :blush Tiny loves to play with Raven but doesn't know how to be gentle so she doesn't encourage him. I know that he plays with stuffies because I hear him squeaking them, and a couple of times I've even caught him on camera, but he's shy about it. If he realizes that someone is watching him play with a toy, he will usually drop it. The few exceptions have been when he's so excited that he just can't stop squeaking the toy, even when I come into the room. A great big exception is his basketball, which he will go crazy for even with an audience. Just can't resist, I guess. He too will probably relax. Neither of them play for more than a few minutes a day, but when they do they really enjoy it.

Don't worry about it. It may come with time and familiarity... or it may just not be her style. Not all dogs understand or like toys.

Edited by GreytNut

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

Guest greytexplorer

I agree with what Greytnut said. :nod

Ester has been with us for 2 years. She just this year started playing/mouthing stuffies.

Kathy and I met up yesterday for a brief romp (she has Fit and Aubrey) at the school playground.

Ester did the oddest thing----crouched down, and when Fit went by, she SPRUNG UP at him, and began to chase HARD.

never saw THAT before. :lol

and today, she picked up the tubebag that holds the plastic bags for poop pickup through her muzzle and began to jump around and throw her head around and all those bags came slinging out

and then she started jumping/pounding on the plastic bags all over the field

:crazy

Never saw that before either.

You may have to wait a while before you see Shelby's *wild side*.

Patience, indeed. :nod

But it is oh so worth the wait!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Guest neworleansmama

Blake and Gracie love to play "stalk" and hide and go seek and wrestle and dance and group roo, but they are only minimally interested in stuffies. A screaming monkey can hold their interest for a few minutes, but stuffies just aren't their thing.

I think in 2.5 years Buck has picked up a stuffie maybe twice, tossed it in the air once and then walked off. His ears will perk up when someone else squeaks a stuffie, but he makes no move to get it.

I had one of those goodie balls and none of my guys or numerous fosters ever played with it. A couple would bat it with a paw then walk away as soon as a roll didn't yield a treat. However, they'd all happily follow Poodle around while he rolled and rolled it -- sharing in his spoils. No fools those greyhounds. ;)

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest greyt2love

I have three greys and they are all different, so I didn't answer your poll. Chloe, the youngest, plays with everything. Stuffies, balls, chew toys, my living room looks like a nursery school playroom most of the time. She empties the huge basket every day. Caesar did play when he first came here, but after a major seizure, he stopped, and never started again. He doesn't like stuffies or chew toys. Rex, the oldest, doesn't do stuffies,or regular toys,, but he loves any kind of chew treat.

Guest jamo71

BeeBee didn't play until she was here for about a month. Now anytime you squeak her toy she will come running. I love it because my Lhasa has never wanted to play. I read somewhere that Grey's don't play catch very well.....BeeBee loves it. The more you throw it the happier she is.

Guest PinkDog

Four of mine never played with toys at all, ever. Ever! But my Bessie girl would grab a toy just to get your attention. Once she had your attention, she was done and she'd show you what she really wanted: for you to fluff her bed or let her out, or whatever. My boy Chase is a toy maniac, though. Every stuffed animal, pair of socks, or hat that comes into the house he thinks is for him. He puts his heads in the shopping bags when you get home, and if something like that is in there, he takes it. He never tears anything up, only gums it all, so I don't mind. :wub:

Guest Farklet

Alice and Dasher are only two years old and are very playful. The day we got them Alice got in the back of the Jeep and grabbed the PetSmart loofa dog and played with it. As I sit here Alice is running and up and down the hall with her toys.

I agree with whoever said to get down and play with your pup. Dasher was very reserved at first and seemed to learn from Alice on how to play. Your pup may not know how to play or be scared to play thinking she's not allowed.

Edited by Farklet

Guest shelbygirl07

oh she's definitely allowed since the dogs we sit come in and play around her.

Right now we are sitting a Boston Terrier named Tyson. Tyson grabbed one of Shelby's numerous rope toys and was throwing it at her feet, dropping it on her head as she layed and trying to shove it in her mouth to play tug of war and shelby just stood there and looked at him then went to lay down and sleep. It was funny to see how hard Ty was trying to play with her and her interest was just not there.

I got down on all 4s once a day for 2 weeks trying to show her how to play like a dog and all she did was sit or lay down and focus on something else. My poms play around here and she just watches them, grunts and falls a sleep.

Guest krisandzoo

Bentley loves anything that squeaks. He's still reservered about how he plays...mostly he seems the be avoiding getting close to Blazer since he's been cranky towards him ever since he realized he is staying.

He got fairly rowdy with my JR, Bullet, yesterday. Bentley has been with us just under 3 weeks. I think it's been a matter of how comfortable he feels with everything.

It is so funny I have a set of siblings and in one set the girl hardly ever plays but the boy loves to play. In the other set the boy NEVER plays and the girl is always wanting to play. :lol

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

Guest team_weasel

I didn't answer the poll because all three are different. Driver never plays with toys/stuffies.. or at least very rarely. Manny loves stuffies, but he's more likely to cuddle them. Sandy prefers to chase squeaky balls.

Right now we have a foster (Ruthie). I have never seen a greyhound play so much with toys! She's an absolute hoot to watch. She actually talks and squeals when she plays -- she must be really excited!

I voted never, but to be completely honest Sadi will "kill" one or other of her stuffies (she only has two) every six months or so :lol Neither of my two previous Greys were big on toys once they were adults (I had them both as pups) but they enjoyed chasing balls and frisbees....somthing that Sadi would not even consider doing :rolleyes:

<p>"One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am"Sadi's Pet Pages Sadi's Greyhound Data PageMulder1/9/95-21/3/04 Scully1/9/95-16/2/05Sadi 7/4/99 - 23/6/13 CroftviewRGT

Guest LeighandSam

Samantha is a nut. She loves squeaky toys, but it took a few months. When I first tried running around and playing with her she would just walk away from me, now she chases me around the yard.

I tried smearing some wet food on her toys to get her interested. I don't know if it worked though. One day she just realized that she loved the high pitched squeaky noise. Her rubber "Cedric" kitty was her favourite, but she broke him. I replaced him but she went through the new one in about 15 minutes. No more squeak!

When I adopted Sammi May06, I was told she was a stuffie killer and liked to play.

:blink: yeah right... she didnt touch them

After a few months she started playing as long as you couldnt see that she was playing. She was a closet player :lol You couldnt be in the room with her playing and if she heard you talking about her playing, she stopped.

After a few more months, she woudl play in the same room with you, but you couldnt look at her playing, you were only allowed to hear her play. :huh Soon as you looked at her or the stuffie, she stopped.

A few more months, she didnt seem to care anymore that you watched her play, and would even start a form of fetch with you when she got tired of whippign it across the room herself.

Now she bounces the stuffie off the back of your head while you are posting on GT about her playing, so that you KNOW she is playing.

Guest Redpack
I have tried everything to get Shelby to play with toys but she isn't the least bit interested.

I have spent a ton of money on Chew, squeaky, Grunty, rubber, canvas, rope and balls of all sizes and she just looks at them and walks away. I don't get it.

are there other grey out there with the same problem?

How can I get her interested in playing? Any suggestions?

I can help you get all those squeaky, grunty, stuffies off your hands....:) Mine do not like ball, ropes or frisbies...but any stuffy expecially a squeaky one is fair game. I'm sorry, I don't have suggestions to help, but couldn't resist an opportunity for bulk stuffies!