Fruit From The Ginko Tree And Dogs

Guest diagirl

Guest diagirl

My Yorkie is eating the fruit from Ginko trees. She spits out the pit, so she's not eating that, but I was wondering if the fruit harms dogs. I'd ask the Yorkie board, but this is a much better board for things like this...

The Merck has a good section on ginkgo as an herbal treatment:

http://www.merck.com/mmhe/sec02/ch019/ch019k.html

but concludes with this:

"Contact with the fruit pulp, which may be encountered under ginkgo trees (planted for ornamental purposes), can cause severe skin inflammation (dermatitis). The fruit is not used in ginkgo products."

The fruit stinks; some think it is like dog poop. I can't find any references to it being toxic, but the compounds in ginkgo *leaf* do have pharmacologic activity. Note that some may say that ginkgo is safe to consume because of the "nutraceutical" applications, these are strictly the leaf; the fruit is not part of these herbal supplements.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Guest diagirl

Oh, the fruit smells horrible, more like trash left out in 90 degree heat! Somehow the Yorkie likes it, though. She hasn't shown any skin irritation. She had a seizure on Sunday, and we were wondering if it was caused by ingesting something (like ginkgo). She didn't get into any prescription meds or chocolate at home. Her blood work came back fine--so it may be epilepsy. We have a regular vet visit tomorrow morning.

ETA: Thanks for the link!

Edited by diagirl