Disc Issue/pinched Nerve

It all started Friday night. I was making dinner and Jack was on the couch when he started to scream!! I ran to him and could tell he was in pain. We took him to the vet on Saturday and she said it is a pinched nerve/disc issue. She gave him a shot of pain medication and sent us home with Rimadyl 100mg once a day. He is doing better but still in pain and still yelling. Not like he as on Friday. Is there anything else we can do??? Mornings seem to be the worst time for him, he has a stiff neck after sleeping all night. I just hate to see him in pain..

thanks!

Guest lizmego

Get thee to a chiropractic vet. Your traditional vet is just treating the symptoms and not the actual cause.

Here's website to find a vet in your area....LINKY

A chiropractor worked wonders for Effee. She had a really stiff neck, that I didn't realize she had had for YEARS and it was getting worse and worse over time, and she started limping and she stopped shaking herself. After a couple of adjustments by the chiropractic vet, who also does acupuncture, so that helped too, she's a new dog! She's now 11 and definitely doesn't act it. She first went to the chiropractor when she was 9.

Edited to add those vets in NY....not sure where you're located in NY, so it might be closer to go to a neighboring state? 2nd edit - went through and removed those vets over 1 hour away. Haven't gone to neighboring states though....

Concetta Butera DC Brooklyn NY 718-836-2400 gallopwind@aol.com

Susan Burian DC Brewster NY 845-278-7700 drburian@completechirocare.com

Paul Johnson DVM Middletown NY 845-343-9888 djohnson7@hvc.rr.com

Dina Diorio DC Poughkeepsie NY 845-677-6381 dcdina@aol.com

Emily Elliot VMD Millbrook NY 845-677-8800

A google search states DVM and VMD means Doctor of Veterinary Medicine and DC is Doctor of Chiropractic

Edited by lizmego

One of the docs in the practice does chiro and accupuncture, I will see how Jack is tonight with a full day of complete rest (my Dh and I are back to work) if not we will take him tomorrow. I just hate that he is in pain.

Sugar has back end "issues" which she makes worse when she moves the wrong way and pinches a nerve in her bony back. That's not exactly the scientific explanation :rolleyes: , but the point is, acupuncture has helped her enormously! She is still on pain meds for her arthritis, but she can move around almost normally. I would get the acupuncture and chiro, especially since it is available at your regular vet. The thing is, as he starts to feel better, he could (likely will) re-injure himself.

Do accupuncture.

I went against my vets recommendation to try accupuncture (he said it had a proven clinical track record that chiro does not) and tried chiro instead. It was something I will never ever ever do again. The chiro that hurt Rex was not only a DVM but is an instructor at the chiro college here. You'd think one couldn't get any more qualified....

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest vahoundlover

acupuncture. It may take more than one treatment and it doesn't work on all dogs but it's worth a shot! Boss goes every 6 weeks, he turned 13 the first of Dec, a year ago he was dx with a bulged disc and lost use of his backend...he left their today dancing :)