Gastric Distortion ?

Guest hushpuppi

Guest hushpuppi

has anyone gone thorough this ??????? symptoms etc I've just lost my girl after being happy,normal in the morning with a slightly full tummy ( like she had a meal) I saw her again at lunchtime once again seemed fine ....... came home to find her lying lacklustre in her bed with blood all down her behind & on her blanket all over the kennel area ..... she had vomited grass up ..... I tried to get her up she walked very stiffed legged the more she walked the worse it got with her front feet knuckling over and stiff legged in backlgs likea robot ..... she squatted and it was pure blood from her bowel....she laid down I sat with her cradling her head she seemed to be slightly twitching in her neck muscles all the other muscles & legs seem to be spasming ( like tetnus I guess) she did wag her tail a few times which made me cry even harder ....partner was on the phone to vet (hours drive away ) her skin was hot she seemed to have trouble breathing gums bright bright red... ( vet said gastric torsion) and it was no good we wouldn't even make to him in time ....she passed away then leaving me but funny thing is her body was still spasming after awards and basically rigamortis set in ??????????? what the hell happened to her ? I can't beleive it was bloat !!!! she never showed anything leading up except for the apperance of a slightly full tummy ..............

2074922157_655277ca09_m.jpg

Jenni & the gang

Australia

Guest LittleGreys

I have never seen those symptoms with a gastric torsion. I have never seen one have blood from the bowels or the spasming you described. Bloat would not seem likely to me. The vet may have thought that if you said her stomach looked bloated, though. Very hard to diagnose a dog without seeing it.

I'm so sorry for your loss and that it had to happen in such a horrible way. :grouphug

I am so sorry for your loss :(:grouphug

Is there something she could have gotten into outside? Do you know if the lawn had been treated with chemicals? It sounds more like a reaction to poisoning. I am so sorry :grouphug

Edited by jodyksam

Mom to Daisy (1999-2012), LB (aka Little Bit), and Sammy James (aka Sammy or Buddy)

How awful :( I've not seen bloat with blood. I'm wondering if she got into something? Poison perhaps?

I agree - or maybe an undetected cancer which had started haemhorraging internally. If it had been bloat, she would have been in a lot of pain and discomfort right from the start. Internal bleeding can be painful, but not in the same way. Some cancers cause few symptoms until the later stages and but they can cause problems with the blood clotting mechanism causing a cascade failure known as DIC. You would then get bleeding from various places, including into the gut and abdominal cavity - and maybe, in your poor girl's case, some bleeding into the brain causing the knuckling etc. This might also explain the tetany and spasm.

Gosh, I'm sorry for what you went through, it is all so traumatic when it happens like this. :(

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

I am so sorry, what a terrible thing to have happened to your beautiful girl. :candle

Try to take some comfort in knowing you were there to hold her in the end and she knew she was loved. :grouphug

I also am thinking maybe she had gotten ahold of something poisonous or some medication, or possibly cancer.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Guest GentleHugs

I second either poisoning (check your yard for signs of someone putting something poisonous in the yard or even toadstools since there was grass in the vomit) or a cancer that caused DIC. We had a case here locally where a boy lost one of his dogs from a nasty neighbor putting pills inside raw hamburger balls and tossing them over the fence for the puppy to eat. His other dog landed in ICU and almost died as well. He found his puppy almost the same way you found your girl - only his puppy was outside in a pool of blood.

Can you have a necropsy done? That should tell you what happened to your girl.

So tragic but she knew you loved her.

So so sorry.

Guest GreyDogsRule

I am so sorry for the loss of your sweet girl.

I lost a female grey about 2 years ago to a condition called spleenic torsion where the spleen twists much like the stomach does with gastric torsion. The symptoms you described sound similar.

One day, our Nadja girl just wasn’t her normal self. I also noticed that her stomach seemed to be distended. I took her to the vet. They said that the spleen was enlarged and thought it could be cancer. Later that day, an ultrasound confirmed it to be a twisted spleen and emergency surgery was the only possible way to save her. I could tell that Nadja was in worse and worse pain as the day went on. She also began to pass blood through her rectum. Later that evening, the vet called to tell us she made it through surgery and was doing well all things considered. We got another call at midnight telling us she had died.

An necropsy (aka autopsy) is really the best way to find out what happened. While it can't bring her back, knowing if it was a possible toxin may be important to make sure it can be removed if still present.

DIC, a ruptured splenic tumor, thromboembolism, toxin would all possibly cause the symptoms you noted. GDV (bloat) would seem unlikely but still possible. An autopsy would tell you for certain.

Bill

Lady

Bella and Sky at the bridge

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." -Anabele France

FeemanSiggy1.jpg

Guest guinness_the_greyt

My Harley boy had an internal tumor that ruptured... (we did not know it was there and he had a vet exam just weeks prior) his belly seemed a bit full at first... then he bled out internally...

How horrifying for you to go through that with her bleeding out infront of you.

The Evet was only moments from my house... they were unable to find the source of the bleed on Xray... We did a toxin screen to rule out poisons... It was horrible and made me feel terrible for months because we did not know how to save him! Made me feel helpless...

Please take comfort that you were able to be with her through this situation...

You will probably never know exactly what happened.... I'm so sorry. :grouphug

Oh my! I lost a six year old Siamese cat this summer in less than 2 minutes--it was traumatic and horrible, so I know a little bit how you must feel, and I'm so sorry.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest hushpuppi

Thanks for all you kind words .after much research and talking to different vets poor Tammy did have gastric torsion maybe also the spleen as well (the blood ) it's just another case of different hidden symptoms apparantly not all cases are classic in behaviour and causes can be unknown and sudden and can be as simple as electrylite imbalance which is pretty damn scary.............the rest of the dogs are getting sick and tired of me poking and prodding them & waking them up all the time ...little mandy got up a bit stiff & it was panic stations again...but she was only a bit cramped ............I just keep wracking my brain trying to work out what I had done wrong.......

Jenni & the gang

Australia

How horrible. I'm so, so sorry for your loss. :grouphug

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.