Regurgitation....

Guest LittleGreys

Guest LittleGreys

So, now Munchie is regurgitating. She will just be standing there and "yack" on the floor. This weekend I have noticed it several times per day. I don't know if this could be a side effect of her meds (clavamox, milk thistle, famotidine, pred, azathioprine), or something else going on with her. I told her today that I believe she has some weird syndrome that we might never diagnose, so we will just call it "Munchie syndrome" poor girl!

The weather was not so bad on Friday,so we took the 2 Greyhounds for a walk, they haven't been on the trail for a couple months (since hunting season started). She had no pep, but she seemed to enjoy it.

There is something "different" about her looks, that I just can't pinpoint. Maybe she is losing muscle mass. I know the "smarty bump" on her head is more prominent.

Friday evening and Saturday she seemed much happier than she has been for quite some time. She was actually bouncing around and playing with her toys, almost her old self. I was hoping maybe, finally, she was turning the corner of getting better, but I also have to think that her illness is cyclic (which her symptoms have been).

Today she is more lethargic. She will be going to see the vet tomorrow. I have, for the first time in my life, made a list of questions so I don't forget anything!

Sending many hugs and prayers.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Sorry to hear this. Hope Munchie feels better soon :goodluck, and will be keeping her in my thoughts.

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest LittleGreys
Prednisone can cause a dog to drink and pee a lot more. Is what she's throwing up mostly water, or food, or both? How much pred is she on, and why the antibiotics?

We are very slowly reducing the pred dose, she is now getting 20mg BID. She didn't regurgutate when she was on the much higher dose, even though she drank up a storm.

She is on clavamox for pyuria. She developed a very nasty UTI 2 weeks ago.

Most of what she yacks up is water with some food in it. She looks so guilty when she does it, I tell her its OK, that's why we have all wood floors! :P

She is looking pot bellied, which has me a bit concerned. I know that can happen with pred, though.......

That's why I want to try to wean her off the pred as soon as possible.

We get water-yakking around here, too, particularly when the greys are overheated and drink a lot of water. If you find her drinking... and drinking... and drinking... you might interrupt her with a small distraction. I'm not saying withhold water- taking water away from an animal with a legitimate thirst is not good- but keeping them from filling up with water all at once may help.

I'd opine that the prednisone could have something to do with it, even though it's no worse at a higher dose. High dose pred is hard on all animals.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Guest LindsaySF

Maybe she is drinking or eating too fast and that makes her throw up. Does she run around just before or just after eating/drinking? When Clancy does that he throws up a little.

Shanti and Nala both do this with water right after drinking it. It is not sounding like that is what Munchie is doing. I would wonder if it is the azathioprine. That is the newest addition.

Take your list to your vet. I do it too. That way you won't forget to ask when so much other stuff is going on.

Prayers to you and Munchie! Let us know what the vet thinks.

The Girls

Guest LittleGreys

The vet is not sure what is causing it. She is hoping the 9 weeks of doxycycline didn't damage her esophagus. She is putting her on carafate to see if that helps. Bad news, we did a recheck urine, still a ton of blood. :( Back on antibiotics. But we are reducing the pred another notch, so I hope that helps.

And no, it is not the normal "water yacking", I have an IG who has yacked water for 12 years now. :rolleyes:

Munchie never runs around and gets excited anymore, she can barely drag herself out to the kitchen to eat and drink. She hasn't ran for months now, so activity has nothing to do with it.

Guest Tenderhearts

If she still has blood in the urine, I'm wondering if it isn't the UTI.

The ONLY symptom I had of the UTI last year was vomiting. We had a hard time resolving the UTI, and I eventually had to have a cystoscopy done to see if I had any tumors in my bladder.

Guest LittleGreys

No, no ultrasound. Probably won't be either. Yesterday, after I worked my regularly sheduled shift then 3 hours overtime on New Year's Eve, my boss told us that starting next week he is cutting everyone's hours. Isn't that a great New Year's announcement.

Still sending prayers for Munchie munchkin.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.