Stray Staple Left Behind

Grace had her staples out on Wednesday and is well on her way to recovery. Yahoo! I was cleaning up the scabs last night, per instruction from the vet, and noticed a scab had grown over a staple and therefore the staple was left behind. I pulled the scab off that part of the wound (I’m supposed to be removing the scabs daily anyhow) and kind of pulled at it and wiggled it a bit. Part of me just wanted to yank it out, and part of me says “go to the vet”. I didn’t pull it out, but was wondering if *in theory* I could do that. What would you do? Is it safe to remove on my own? Can I just pull, or should I use pliers? Am I ridiculous for asking these questions? The vet is practically on my way home from work and my dogs go to work with me, so we’ll be stopping by the vet’s office tonight. I guess I’m just more curious than anything……

(I am not one to get squeamish, so if it was safe for me to do this, a little blood wouldn’t stop me.)

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Stop by the vet -- they've got a tool that removes them easily.

If it's hanging on by a thread, you could just tweak it out, but if it's nicely embedded, better to let them do it.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

We've done our own removal, with instructions from the vet. Actually, Len has, not me. I am too chicken.

Use a manicure scissors. Insert into staple in flat, closed postion. Then open scissors. It will raise and stretch the staple. Or, go to the vet if you are like me and are too chicken.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest HeatherDemps

I would swing in and let the vet get it out since it was missed. I am definitely squemish but even if I wasn't, I'd still let the vet do it. My grey is a screamer though.

Guest KennelMom

We removed all of Hannas staples here at home. The vet had given me a removal tool a while back but, of course, I've misplaced it :rolleyes: At any rate...DH did it using needle nose pliers, I think...I'm too squeamish so I just held her and averted my eyes :lol If it just been me here by myself, I'd have swung by the vet to have it done.

Staples are not hard to remove but much easier with the right tools. You don't want to risk tearing that nice new beautiful skin :P

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

I'm too chicken...I've tried on Lewis and Stel and the first time they flinched, I just knew it was causing immense pain and headed to the vet. Stel's were on her muzzle so that may have hurt a little bit but when I watched Sheila take the one's out of Lewis's neck, he never flinched. I think they knew they could get a car ride out of the deal!!!

siggie50_1.jpg

Blair, Stella (DND Heather), Lizzie (M's Deadra), Hitch (Hallo Dominant) and House (Mac's Dr. House)

Missing my handsome men Lewis (Vs Lowrider) - 11/11/01 - 3/11/09, Kevin (Dakota's Hi Five) - 1/1/06 - 4/18/11 and my cat, Sparkle Baby - ??/??/96 - 4/23/11

"The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is, in fact, the most precious and valuable possession of mankind." (Theodorus Gaza)

Guest Giselle

You want to press it in the middle so that the two pokey parts are lifted out and up. Like Batmom said, the vets have a simple and easy tool. It takes literally two seconds, so just drop by your vets and let them know. I recommend around lunch hours. The techs are usually bored out of their minds by then ;) LOL

So what did you do???? I am to chicken for staples. I have taken sutures out of my horse more than once. Would not attempt staples.

The vet is right near my house so we stopped by to see them again. I took Fenway in with me to weigh him too.....he proceeded to lay down across the threshold of the door when we were waiting for Grace and looked at me like I was nuts when I asked him to move to let someone pass. :youcrazy That's my short bus!

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)