Wanted To Share....

Guest LuvXRacers

Guest LuvXRacers

For those of you who are familiar with Dean Koontz, a greyt author of many mystery & suspense books, you know that he is a dog lover and in many of his books, dogs have a major role. He is especially fond of Golden Labs, and can be seen pictured on the back of his books always with his beloved golden.

While reading his latest book, 'The Darkest Evening of the Year', which I call one of his many "must reads!" (especially for dog lovers!) I found this paragraph to be especially touching, for I have never been able to understand the unfairness & cruelty in the shorter lives of dogs compared to humans. This paragraph helps, if only just a little.

"Dogs lives are short, too short, but you know that going in. You know the pain is coming, you're going to lose a dog, and there's going to be great anguish, so you live fully in the moment with her, never fail to share her joy or delight in her innocence, because you can't support the illusion that a dog can be your lifelong companion. There's such beauty in the hard honesty of that, in accepting and giving love while always aware it comes with an unbearable price. Maybe loving dogs is a way we do penance for all the other illusions we allow ourselves and for the mistakes we make because of those illusions."

~Taken from 'The Darkest Evening of the Year' by Dean Koontz