Kidney Disease Question

Guest ss556

For those of you with hounds who have a chronic kidney disease (like PLN), how long do you know about the disease and how are your hounds doing?

Alan was diagnosed the summer of 2006 following a seizure and he's doing fine (knock on wood) considering. I was just curious about any info you can share about KD greys.

For those of you with hounds who have a chronic kidney disease (like PLN), how long do you know about the disease and how are your hounds doing?

Alan was diagnosed the summer of 2006 following a seizure and he's doing fine (knock on wood) considering. I was just curious about any info you can share about KD greys.

I'm happy to hear that Alan is still doing well a year and a half later. That's great!

Jazz was diagnosed with chornic kidey failure on October 14, 2007. Her creatinine and BUN continue to rise even in this short period. She's still as active as she was before, just pickier about eating. I'm a newbie to kidney disease but I'm sure some others with longer experience will chime in. Even in these short months I've already switched her to a home-cooked diet and started her on subcutaneous fluids.

I'm curious about the seizure -- was it related to his condition, or just noticed because you ran labwork or something after it happened? Jazz had a seizure in August (haven't seen one since). There was nothing really conclusive in her bloodwork or x-ray so we didn't do anything about it. We detected the kidney failure in October after she started Deramaxx.

Edited by suzye

Guest MorganKonaAlex

Kona's was pretty advanced by the time she was diagnosed. We started treating her with SubQT fluids and blood pressure meds. She returned to eating and playing with toys. She was stable with no significant change for 4 months. Then she got vasculitis. Either the vasculitis was related to total kidney failure (the Vet's theory) or the treatment caused the last of her kidney function to fail. We had to euthanize her at Thanksgiving.