Leaking While Lying Down?

We are away from home, and our girl Ruby has leaked while lying on her bed, twice within several hours. We had noticed Kingsley was sniffing at her recently, so we assumed it must be a UTI. We took her to the locally suggested vet (PHENOMENAL vet, at Arlington Animal hospital in Poughkeepsie, NY... I will post more about that elsewhere so that others in the area know to go there)

But, she does not have a UTI. The vet said to keep an eye on her discharges cause if there is any blood we should come right back, but he saw no need to treat what was not there.

He suggested stress, but she is our confident girl, and we are not getting any stress-signals from her, though this is her first trip with us.

We wondered if spayed girls ever have liquidy discharges when they might be coming into "heat"? It appears like very dilute urine, not smelly.

Thanks for all your insight, GTers

Amy and Tim in Beverly, MA, with Chase and Always missing Kingsley (Drama King) and Ruby (KB's Bee Bopper).

Guest greybookends

If she doesn't have a UTI than most likely it is incontinence. Keep track of how often it happens. It is easily controlled with medication. Keep in mind not all hounds can take the meds so some panties may be needed. My Sheana has this problem. She does this only when she is asleep. She takes the meds and is fine. Check with your vet.

Thanks... I had heard talk of this, but figured we would have seen this happen previously if she had this problem. But in the meantime we have wrapped her beds in plastic and will watch for a bit longer (until we go home) and can speak with our vet if she continues to have problems. She has been fine overnight, just had these leakings during the afternoon yesterday.

Amy and Tim in Beverly, MA, with Chase and Always missing Kingsley (Drama King) and Ruby (KB's Bee Bopper).

Zema has had this problem off and on, under particular circumstances. Never overnight, never while asleep. Sometimes it does appear to be related to UTI and responds to antibiotics, even if her urine tests clean. Other times ... we're still investigating.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

It could be spay incontinence. You'd have to do some research on it, but I believe there is a medication/supplement that can be given for that. Your vet should know more about it, I'm surprised they didn't suggest it as a possibility.

Did they check her anal glands? Both of our greyts have had this issue and there is leakage and our office mates greyt goes nuts with the sniffing the fuller her glands get. We have to have her expressed every 4 - 6 weeks - we take her to the vets as this is not something I want to do - way too messy and smelly. You can usually tell as there is a musty smell, but not always.

Renie did this just once recently and we checked her out very thoroughly and decided it was indeed stress.

It was a few days after the firework season and her first day back at 'work' as a therapy dog. I'd kept her home the week before because she was obviously not over the stress of the season, but that day she had seemed perfectly normal and happy. Yet, while she was there, lying down on her own mat (thank heavens) she leaked a puddle. They were very uderstanding - most of them are dog people - but I was very embarrassed. I took a pee pad with me next time, but she hasn't done it again since.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

One of my girls, Lizzie, did the same thing last summer. Out of the blue, she started leaking and it went away as quickly as it came on. It's probably just a little stress with your girl but keep an eye on her. I bet as soon as you get her home and settled, she'll be good as new.

siggie50_1.jpg

Blair, Stella (DND Heather), Lizzie (M's Deadra), Hitch (Hallo Dominant) and House (Mac's Dr. House)

Missing my handsome men Lewis (Vs Lowrider) - 11/11/01 - 3/11/09, Kevin (Dakota's Hi Five) - 1/1/06 - 4/18/11 and my cat, Sparkle Baby - ??/??/96 - 4/23/11

"The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is, in fact, the most precious and valuable possession of mankind." (Theodorus Gaza)

Grace does this from time to time, it also appears to be stress related to me. She hasn't done it sine May. Usually not at night, but always while lying down. Might be the start of incontinence, but until it becomes more frequent I do not care to medicate.

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)