Staples Vs Stitches

No injuries here presently - knock wood - but I was wondering, what determines whether staples or stitches should be used on a wound?

Can either ever be put in with only a local anesthesia rather than sedation?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest Tenderhearts

The only one I ever had staples done on was Biscuit when she was spayed. She was spayed by the other vet before I took her in.

None of my dogs have ever had sutures without sedation.

Marla had staples put in with just a local when she had several skin growths lasered off. I think stitches would've been more difficult with just the local, as they require a steadier (read: unconscious) patient. Staples are nice & quick.

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

Fenway had 14 stitches with a local. 8 internal and 6 external, on his side. How they got a 6 month old puppy to stand still long enough to do that, I will never know.

Grace was in surgery for an hour and was obviously put under, she had internal stitches to repair to the muscle damage and 20 staples (along with 4 drains) to close her up.

I'd prefer not to have to put my dogs under, so whether it's stitches or staples I don't care if it means they can use a local.

[Knock wood] I don't want to have to worry about this again for a long, long time!

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

I personally prefer staples because they are less likely to get irritated or infected. Over the years I have found that specialty clinics and the larger hospitals use staples on my boys but my local vet uses stitches. There are always exceptions though. Alex went in last week for some biopsies of the skin by a dermatologist and since they were such small little places she used 4 stitches on each place. She was able to use a local for that and he just stood there while she cut on him. (Fortunately since she is about 1.5 hours aways, she used stitches that will dissolve. My local vet just charged me $26 to have 9 staples removed from Stevie's neck and the vet tech was the one that did it.) As far as local vs sedation, I think it really depends on the type of surgery. Mine always get local for little skin things but sedation for more severe skin/tissue injuries.

Guest BooandCalisMom

For Cali our vet explained that the stitches draw the wound tighter and will have less scarring as well as less risk of tearing. She was given numerous stiches on her to gashes and 2 staples on a small punture wound just so it would not open further.

Staples literally TORE the skin on P.Star's flank. She had a wart removed & in the the end, the staple lacerations were worse that the wound they were supposed to be holding shut. It's been 4 weeks & it's only starting to heal up after I began applying wound adhesive. If your dog has delicate skin, or the wound is on a part of the body where the skin is pulled & stretched a lot (like the butt or thigh) and cannot be bandaged easily, go with stitches & wound adhesive.

On the flip side, Yvain had staples in his neck wound (mass removal). Staples worked out wonderfully with his tougher skin & the wound healed quickly & neatly.

Guest team_weasel

Our hounds have only had stitches..so I only have experience with that. However, a friend of mine whose greyhound recently tore the skin/flesh just above her shoulder had staples. She has had nothing but problems with them (coming out and infection). The wound is finally starting to heal, several weeks later. I suppose it depends where the stitches/staples are placed, and the size of the wound??

Guest nerak254

I was tlaking with DD#1 on Christmas eve and asked her about surgical glue and butterfly bandages. She said that if there is something fairly minor, to use super glue :unsure .

Most of my hounds have had staples at one time or another for larger skin tears, and usually without a local unless something else had to be done to the wound. The staples didn't appear to bother them in the least, going in or coming out. (I was there to see it all happen). I think they're wonderful!

I think a lot depends on the type of wound. For wounds like punctures that have an area for infection to start, staples may be better because they will allow for drainage and also allow for topical antibiotics to be introduced.