Scott's Skin Flap And Lack Of Staples

Guest laceyj

Although I have been able to keep him from nagging at his wound he has lost more staples, one he did pull out but the others have popped on their own. Despite me keeping him as quiet as possible. He only has 2 left and they're in the least important places. I'm afraid the flap is not surviving. We have an appointment for 4pm today. I'm scared they'll want to put him out to remove the flap. The initial injury was a week ago today, re-stapling for the third time seems unlikely to me. I had hoped we'd be much further along in recovery by now, but we're about where we started. Save for the muscle puncture, that seems to be better, the leg is no longer so tender.

Do you suppose they can just numb the area and trim the skin off?

Guest charmsmom

That's what our vet did for Charm when he had a hole in his side. She just gave him some anesthetic and snipped it away. The vet tech just rubbed his head and he didn't make a peep. And believe me...I can't even trim his NAILS without getting the GSOD or at least a whine! :lol

Kiowa had a wound on his face that even when stapled (and the staples held) the tissue didn't survive. The skin flap just fell off on it's own and didn't need to be cut away. It formed a scab and then healed with a scar.

The one thing I would worry about with a leg wound is a bubble or pocket forming if the wound is still open. Kiowa had a leg wound around his shoulder/armpit area and when the staples pulled out the next day a pocket formed and the wound was stretching out and getting larger and had to be restapled. I wonder if stitches and a drain would be in order?