Help!

Guest Pharaohs_Dad

Guest Pharaohs_Dad

I just got back from taking Pharaoh from a walk & he picked up a rib bone off the ground out of nowhere,...it was dark & I thought he was just sniffing something. I tried to take it out of his mouth & he growled & snapped at me like never before...he swallowed it whole! It was about 5 or 6 inches long. I just want to know if he will be ok...he didn't choke on it but he did definitely swallowed the whole thing. Needless to say for the first time he knows I was mad at him, he's shaking & won't come near me..I did not strike him (I would never do that) but I guess the tone of my voice was enough to strike fear into him. I'm just very concerned...will he digest it ok?

Edited by Pharaohs_Dad

Guest BlackandBrindle

He should be ok, but watch for discomfort/non productivity in the poop department, vomiting, pacing, or other signs of discomfort.

Many dogs have ingested cooked bones and are fine.

You might also work on the 'trading up' method so that he gives high value items to you when you need him to.

Don't freak out, just keep an eye out. Chances are good that he'll be fine.

Guest Winterwish

One thing you can do is give him some bread in an attempt to cushion the sharpness of either that piece,or fragments of.

it's so hard to say really,and you can never go wrong with calling the e-vet or going there tho'.

Was it a rib or a baby back rib? Recently another grey on GT had gotten to baby back ribs,which it's my understanding are a softer bone.

Guest Pharaohs_Dad
One thing you can do is give him some bread in an attempt to cushion the sharpness of either that piece,or fragments of.

it's so hard to say really,and you can never go wrong with calling the e-vet or going there tho'.

Was it a rib or a baby back rib? Recently another grey on GT had gotten to baby back ribs,which it's my understanding are a softer bone.

My wife just got back from mass & she said someone left bar-b-qued ribs in the parking lot where I took him.

Please let us know how he is doing, I'd feed bread and keep a close watch if I were you.

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Chances are he'll be just fine. Some bread wouldn't hurt. Good luck!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest HeatherDemps

I would maybe call your emergency vet just to ask for signs you should be looking for that would indicate you need to get him in. Years ago, Dempsey got ahold of several BBQ rib bones. I took him to the emergency vet and they did xrays and I can't remember if they gave him any meds or not. They told me to just watch for vomiting, that it would indicate a problem. Very early the next morning, he stood in my closet and threw up all over my shoes, so we headed back to the e-vet and I know they gave him meds at that point, but I can't remember what. I think he also later ended up with some diarhea but nothing worse than that, thank goodness.

Glad to hear that he seems to be okay today!

Heather

The same thing happened with Sunny a couple of months ago and like you I was worried sick. I rang my vets who said to look out for vomiting and possibly diarrhoea. I gave him some bread and watched him like a hawk but he was fine. Hope Pharoah is OK too.

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

With cooked bones, the problem can surface days later. You will need to watch him for signs of abdominal discomfort and/or straining to poop for some time. Dogs which have bone stuck in their gut tend to look thoroughly miserable, and be off their food, and also they tend to stand 'tucked up'. That is, with their head and tail low, and their stomach pulled up with the spine arched. That is a serious sign and if he does that, get him in to be x-rayed ASAP.

There's a good chance he'll be fine, especially if you feed him bread, but watch him carefully. The dogs which survive a punctured gut or bowel obstructions are the ones which are seen quickly once symptoms develop. ;)

Try not to blame yourself - this happens to an awful lot of us from time to time. I've had mine eat un-named and unauthorised 'treats' from the pavement and been unable to get to them in time.

It's a good idea to practice retrieving things from him that he shouldn't have, though. Trading up is a good way to go, and it's one reason I always have good treats in my pocket when I walk the dogs.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

hope all comes out fine. keep an eye on him and his poo just to makesure it comes out. BTW it is amazing how just a loud voice and body language can get to these guys.

Cassie: Pikes Clara Bell Swoop: My Man Swoop

BRIDGE ANGELS Psi:WD'S Aleford 3/17/00-4/25/10 Snowman: Gable Snowman 1/9/96-2/14/08

Guest CindiLuvsGreys

Bread with lots of butter then just keep an eye out. There is nothing more you can really do unless you think he is acting funny and needs an x-ray. IMO there is never a reason to hit Greyhound. You can easily convey the same message by yelling at them. Mine will cower and shake if they are bad and get yelled at. Such brave dogs. :ph34r

Hopefully everything thing will work itself out fine.