Dental On A 12 1/2 Year Old?

Guest luvRgreys

Guest luvRgreys

Posting for a friend of mine. She just brought in a 12 1/2 y/o girl. Healthy except for horrible teeth. Some teeth hurt to the touch. She is only able to eat soft food. What experience have you had doing dentals on greys this age? None of mine have lived that long :(:( . Have lost 2 to OS, 1 of Lymphosarcoma of the gut, 1 of stomach cancer, all shortly before 11 or after 11 yrs.

My thought with this girl, is that if she is hurting this much, the risk of infection spreading through her blood stream is very great, so the dental isn't an option. What do you think?? Thanks in advance for your replys, I really appreciate the knowledge of this group!

Guest guinness_the_greyt

I adopted a greyhound this year at 12yrs old... her teeth were heinous... We did a dental and had most all removed... She was like a whole new dog afterwards!!! She even got a little spunk back in her step. I would do it again in a heartbeat! Unfortunately for Greta she had Osteo (we didn't know at the time of her dental) she passed 6 weeks after her dental... But like I said I considered it money well spent... she was much happier those 6 weeks with her absessed teeth gone!

Angie had a successful dental when she was almost 15. It really all boils down to what the bloodwork shows, as to whether the pup is healthy enough for a dental

Mary Semper Fi, Dad - I miss you. Remembering Carla Benoist, a Greyhound/Pibble's bestest friend, Princess Zoe Brick-Butt, the little IG with the huge impact on hearts around the world - Miz Foxy - Greyhound Trish - Batman, the Roman-nosed Gentleman - Profile, the Handsome Man - Hunky the Hunkalicious - Jeany the Beautiful Lady- Zema, the most beautiful girl in the world - Jessie, the lovable nuisance - and my 3 Greys: my Angie-girl, my Casey-girl, and The Majestic Pippin, running forever in my heart. (I will always love you and miss you,my friends)

As long as she is going to a grey savvy vet, I would much rather see this ole girl loose her teeth and live out her years happy and pain free. My Polli lost 17 teeth (almost 9 at the time) when she was first adopted. Her teeth too, were atrocious. She learned to compensate without all those smelly teeth!

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

:nod

Monty's 12 1/2 and having a dental next week. He has medical issues so there are a lot of precautions being taken, but he needs a dental. Quality of life and freedom from pain are too important, and not having the dental could create even more issues for an elderly dog.

Guest CindyMessmore

We adopted an 11 yr old and her teeth were so bad, all of them had to be removed.... AFTER she was on antibiotics for 2 weeks. The infection had spread into her throat. Our Vet ran tests to make certain there was no signs of infection in the heart, etc. Later we adopted a 10 yr old and immediately she had 9 teeth extracted. They were really bad. You can tell they feel sooo much better when their mouth doesn't hurt anymore.

Guest CindiLuvsGreys

Just make sure they check bloods before hand. I think most dentals are done on older dogs so I'm sure your friends dog will be fine. Probably feel a LOT better too. My 14 year old cat had most of his teeth removed and lived another 3 years. After the dental he was feeling much better and eating a lot more.