Grace's Progress

Hi all! Thanks for your continued support and well-wishes. Since many of you have been asking for an update, here it is. So far today we have cockroached for bellyrubs, barked at our brother for being a nut, played with Ugly Kitty and Bird Brain, pranced our way through a walk, and generally have left our staples alone. :D These last two days Grace has really turned around and while she's not 100% yet, she's getting there.

We visited with Dr. Fisher again yesterday. She'd already had her drains removed prior to this visit. The skin infection is right at the point where she was bitten and torn, about 1/3 of the way up from the bottom of the staples. The second antibiotic is doing it's job to kill the infection, but some of the tissue had already died. I'm to keep a close eye on that area to insure there is no further dying tissue. I'm still flushing with an antiseptic twice a day and applying warm compresses. We'll go back for another visit on Wednesday. Dr. Fisher hopes to take out most of the staples at that time. Some might have to stay in where the infection is. He did say there is still a small chance that we'd need a second surgery to remove the dead tissue. I have my fingers crosses that the second surgery will not be necessary. Poor Grace has had a rough week!

Night of the attack:

DSCN0218.jpg

Day 1 Post Op:

DSCN0223.jpg

Day 3 Post Op (kinda yucky):

DSCN0242.jpg

Day 4 Post Op (getting really gross):

DSCN0245.jpg

Day 6 Post Op (drains removed):

Day61.jpg

Day 7 Post Op:

Day72.jpg

Edited by gracegirl

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OMG! Day 3 & 4 are yucky! Kudos to you for dealing with this so well! It does look like it is healing much better now. We hope it is going to continue and there is no other surgery for dead skin. We have been thinking of you all weekend. Glad she is progressing nicely!

Keep giving her big hugs and kisses for us! We will keep her in our thoughts.

The Girls

Guest shanesmom

I was just thinking of Grace. Looks like she's healing quickly but still has a way to go. Crossing fingers here that she will not need another surgery. Sending more hugs for Grace and for you too. :grouphug

I missed the original post and just got caught up, so I thought I'd throw in that I don't really care why it happened or how - anyone with a dog or cat or child or whatever knows that life happens and you can't protect everyone from everything. You can spend your whole life beating yourself up about coulda woulda shoulda's...OR you can have a cocktail and move forward. Grace is lucky to have such a doting mom who loves her so much and takes such good care of her. Many, many belly rubs and neck scratches from Baltimore to Seattle! (And an extra wonderful something in her Christmas stocking!) She's a lovely girl, by the way.

Edited to add - I was so busy being self-righteous that I forgot to also say that her wounds look much, much better. She's definitely on the mend - your dedication is paying off!

Edited by CMoon75
gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

WOW...that looks great compared to the original pics. Good luck on continued success in quick healing!!

gallery_4518_2903_10272.jpg
Donna and...Lucy and Chubb
Rascal H 10/1/91-5/22/04 My best friend and Bounty Boon 1/23/99-6/25/07 My boy with the biggest heart
Cody 7/28/99-8/1/13 My boy that always made me laugh and Dylan 5/12/04-12/29/2017 The sweetest boy ever

Miss Mollie 1/1/99-1/30/15 and Pixie :heart:heart-10/10/2017 Lincoln :heart-2/14/2021

Guest LolasMom

Sweet Grace, it's so good to hear that you're feeling more like yourself again. :) You have a very good nurse in your mommy there and I continue to pray that you keep healing up lickity split with no more surgeries. :wub: :wub:

OUCH!!!!! Your poor girlie!!!!! :( :( :(

sending healing hugs to you all! :grouphug:hope

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

OMG! Day 3 & 4 are yucky! Kudos to you for dealing with this so well! It does look like it is healing much better now. We hope it is going to continue and there is no other surgery for dead skin. We have been thinking of you all weekend. Glad she is progressing nicely!

Keep giving her big hugs and kisses for us! We will keep her in our thoughts.

Thanks for the good thoughts, they must be working! For a few days I had my house covered in towels, sheets and blankets so ooze wouldn't get all over everything. Now most of those are in the wash and she's wearing her "turtleneck"....I cut the legs off of sweatpants and now I have two things I can use to keep her neck covered. I just hope she doesn't scratch it too much in the next few days. With her turtleneck and booties, she's mostly protected. :)

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Oh, Poor Grace. It looks like it is healing okay... maybe a second surgery won't be necessary. We went through this last year at Thanksgiving when Amanda was bitten and her wounds (there were even more than Grace's) were pretty severe and they were also worried about a second surgery being needed. Thankfully she didn't need it!

Good thoughts for fast healing being sent Grace's way!!!

Have a GREYT holiday!

Elphie, Kulee, Amanda, Harmony, Alex (hound mix), Phantom, Norbet, Willis (dsh), Autumn (Siamese) & Max (OSH) & mama rat, LaLa & baby Poppy! My bridge kids: Crooke & Mouse (always in my heart), Flake, Buzz, Snake, Prince (GSD), Justin & Gentry (Siamese), Belle (Aussie/Dalmatian mix), Rupert (amstaff) and Fred, Sirius, Severus, Albus, George, Hagrid, Hermione, Minerva, Marilyn, Wren, Molly, Luna, Tonks, Fleur, Ginny, Neville, Bill, Percy, Rose & Charlie (rats)

Thanks for the good thoughts, they must be working! For a few days I had my house covered in towels, sheets and blankets so ooze wouldn't get all over everything.

I remember when Shadow got hurt a couple of years ago. His wound was across the back of his neck and he had a huge drain. I had sheets and towels everywhere, and my house still ended up looking like a crime scene :rolleyes: I've never done so much wash and shampooed the carpets so much in my life! The sofa cushions were beyond repair by the time the drain came out, but hey, that's what slipcovers are for :blink::P

So glad to see that Grace is on the mend. Hope you have a happy holiday :)

Jenn, missing Shadow (Wickford Big Tom), Pretty Girl (C's Pretty) and Tori (Santoria)

Guest MrsDooLittle

Oh my.......considering how bad she was injured and how many stitches your poor Grace had to have, I would say she is doing amazingly well!!! I'm curious....what did the owners of the other dog have to say about all this? Granted, things happen......but if you had been dogsitting and my dog did this to your dog I would have felt horrible and responsible....

You are a very good momma nurse......

Cindy

Thank you so much for posting the update! Have been keeping Grace in my thoughts. Seems like you're doing a fantastic job! Glad to see she's on the mend. :) :)

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Gracie...I love the new necklace look...but sweetie...put some glitter & sequins on it for the holidays...It really is your color! :paw:beatheart:grouphug - Pipi-Francine

Gracie...Pipi's mother here...we're all praying for your complete recovery. Have a very Merry Christmas. :snow