Wizard's Leg Hurts

Guest SusanP

It's Saturday night and we're having a snowstorm, and Wizard has a sore leg.

I'm thinking the best thing to do is to wait and see for now, but the pain seems to be in his right front "ankle"--he is dragging it a tiny bit and holding it up and yelped when I gently bent the joint. He's holding his ears back a little, too...

Called the e-vet-- wouldn't recommend any pain meds even for the short term without seeing him.

Before I panic way out of proportion to reality, does bone cancer typically occur in that joint? Or isn't it usually in a joint? (I know, anything is possible... trying not to panic, really)

It's possible this has been coming on/recurring over the past several weeks, though we weren't sure where the pain was before.He just yelped a few times going up the stairs. It seemed to go away, and we canceled the vet appt we made at the time.

I will for sure get him in to see a vet now, but I can't decided if it can wait until later this week or not--guess it depends how he is in the morning...How long does one normally wait with something like this?

Can someone please give me a pep talk and help me think this through? Am I over reacting?

Edited by SusanP

Guest Scouts_mom

"yelped when I gently bent the joint." To me this sounds like an injury and not cancer. When my sweet Scout had bone cancer, she would let us move her legs every which way--it was putting weight on them that hurt.

As for seeing the vet--my rule of thumb is if a nap and cookies to don't make them forget it, it is time for a vet visit. But, maybe not an emergency vet, depending on finances. unless your baby seems to be in pain just lying still.

Good luck and healing thoughts going your way.

You are right to be concerned and that is where Argus's osteo started... but in all likelihood it's a soft tissue injury. They can come and go like that. They'll be healing up, then step on it wrong/bang it/whatever and the swelling flares up again. Treatment is pretty simple, usually Deramaxx for the pain and swelling, combined with lots of rest. The vet will probably x-ray it to see what the problem is.

I waited longer than I should have because Argus was a drama queen and I thought he was simply "milking it" and not really seriously hurt or ill. But the sooner you get Wizard in, the sooner he can be on the road to Wellville. It sounds like he's really hurting. In your shoes, I'd go sooner rather than later so he can have relief from whatever's bothering him.

Hugs to you and Wizard. :bighug

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

I'd be inclined to get him in on Monday for an x-ray, if your vet can fit him in. Greys can be stoic... and since he's had reoccurances of pain over the past several weeks, I think an exam sooner than later is in order. And yes, OS can manifest in the wrist, although is more often in the long bones of the arms/legs. Prayers for Wizard that it's just a simple soft tissue injury... :hope

Edited by iluvgreys

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

If I don't think it's ordinary soreness/stiffness (overdoing it in the yard, etc.), I usually just go on to the vet. Not e-vet unless there's serious swelling or pain or blood, but the regular vet once they're open.

If I think it's likely to be just some soreness or a bruise, I'll wait a day or two. Gets worse at any point, off to the vet. Stays the same for maybe two days, off to the vet. Gets better in a day or two, I'll keep an eye on it and make sure things keep heading in the right direction.

LOTS of things can hurt besides cancer -- not time to panic yet, just ordinary mom worrying will do :) . Hugs and hopes he is better soon.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I may take him to the e-vet later today when (if?) the blowing and drifting from last night's blizzard lets up and the roads are safe...We're traveling Mon, but if I really can't drive the roads today (they're advising against it, and the drifting is bad) and can get him through the day, we can delay our trip and take him early Mon...at bedtime, he went out and came in shaking and panting, but settled down once he was lying down. I'd have probably taken him right then if it hadn't been for the blizzard.

He just woke up--I got up early to make tasty dog biscuits for the trip, and I offered him some of the dough, normally one of his favorite treats. And he just licked it and wouldn't take it.

I'm scared.

And I'm still not sure if the roads are safe enough to drive him to the evet.

I'd think you could wait till it's a bit safer today, when the road crews have had a chance -- couple hours likely won't make any difference.

Sending hugs and good thoughts.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Now he's acting normal again, and he walks just fine. I still want to take him in because we'll be out of town for a couple of days. But the e-vet's long, uphill drive still hasn't been dug out, and the snow is halfway up my calf even where it hasn't drifted. I'm waiting till their plow comes...

I think it worries me more that the pain sort of comes and goes... I suspect this is what has been going on for about 3 weeks now. Often I thought he was just fine. Other times I thought he was holding his ears back too much, but he wasn't limping or anything. I really want to know what's going on and get to some pain management.

Well, we made it and had bloodwork done, and now he's on Previcox for 5 days. The vet didn't seem clear on where the pain was, though Wizard yelped repeatedly when the right paw was bent. Thought if it were cancer it would be more painful than this after 3+ weeks and that it would be painful to pressure applied to a certain spot. Said we could do xrays but seemed to want to do a chest xray because that would show if there was cancer that had spread (?)

We finally opted to have our regular vet do xrays later on, on the *leg*!

At the moment, Wizard seems fine. No more stairs or long walks for him now, no climbing ice and snow mountains, either. We had at least 6" of snow and lots of drifting, though, so that will be a challenge!