Glucosomine Dosing

Guest orchidman

Guest TriciasZoo

I did a search and all I could come up with was 1/2 teaspoon, but I plan on buying generic capsules at Walmart, so what would the mg dosage be for a 70 lb grey. And any other suggestions for mild arthritis in Sammer's front right leg. With these cooler nights I notice it a little, and I'd prefer to try to keep him comfy and keep his arthritis from geting worse. He is still a young guy at 5, and when it does affect him, it's the smallest of limps that doesn't seem to cause any pain. If you're not looking for it you wouldn't even know it was there.

Thanks,

Sam and Trish

Guest greytbookert

I think it is 1000mg for a standard dose... but I could be wrong. You could add MSM and Vitamin C to the glucosomine, that helps my arthritic kids...

Edited by greytbookert

1500mg glucosamine, 1000mg chondroitin. You can also buy it with MSM. If you buy a generic, look all over the bottle for some proof that it's been lab tested and actually has the amount of g/c as labeled. It will take maybe 30 days for any effect to be noticable, and you'll want to keep him on it year round.

Edited by Cynthia

I give my grey 2 1000 mg capsules (they have both G & C in them) as a preventative dose. The dosage on the pills says 3 per day for an adult. I just hand them to Mayhem and he eats them (along with his fish oil pills), no biggie.

Guest TriciasZoo

I didn't know, when I was out, if the MSM was safe or not, so I hunted until I found one that was just the Glucosomine and Chondriton. I just learned Sam is the worst pill taker I've ever had. I've had cats that were easier to pill than him. Geesh! At least he doesn't bite. LOL! To get the dosage suggested I had to go with twice a day dosing. I went ahead and started everyone on Fish Oil too. Since it was right there I thought let's get them some shiny, soft coats too. :) Thanks everyone. I can always count on you guys to help me with my questions. :wubsite Come to think of it, with Bebe hitting 7, I think I'll go ahead and start dosing her once daily with the Gluc/Chon. She's showing no signs of needing it, so I'll just start with the lower dose.

I give my grey 2 1000 mg capsules (they have both G & C in them) as a preventative dose. The dosage on the pills says 3 per day for an adult. I just hand them to Mayhem and he eats them (along with his fish oil pills), no biggie.

Lucky!!! :P

Trish,

If you got the one with MSM, watch for loose poos. I realize now, looking back, that the old boys loosened up when I increased the MSm. Of course, at the time I thought they were getting sicker, and I was the one making them that way. :(

Good thing I did hunt until I found one w/o the MSM.

Fletcher gets Joint Health from Springtime and gobbles them down like treats! (they are flavored for dogs, liver?) Sugar has to take lots of pills, and Pill Pockets (from PetsMart) are life-savers! Pricey, but worth it. Don't know how big your capsules are though.

edited to add, I stopped the MSM, didn't see any improvement for Sugar.

Edited by Remolacha