Outside Leg Knee Cut - How To Cover And Treat?

Guest ladyann

Guest ladyann

I need some advice from you experienced greyhound owners. My 6 yr old grey Lady has a dime-size open sore on her right outside hind leg right above the knee. It bleeds for a few minutes, but once I put some pressure with gauze bandage over it, it stops. I have no idea where she got it... I've tried for four days to keep it clean with neosporin and use some septic powder to keep it dry. I keep thinking we've got the problem ..well.. licked. :blink: But once it scabs over , in a day or two, Lady licks it off and we start the whole process over. Another funny thing is that she only licks it off after dinner time -around 6pm. Then I treat it, she talks her last walk, and everthing is ok for the next day or so. She's not limping or in pain that I can tell. She walks fine on the leash and runs in the snow the way she's always done.

Is there anything creative I can use to cover it so she can't get at it so it can heal itself? The bandages I have don't seems to stick well to the fur. Or is it vet time?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Guest ladyann
You could try some bitter apple AROUND the wound, or cut the foot off a pair of white tube socks and put the tube over the wound. With a little bit of stretch it should hold pretty well.

Thanks for sock idea. But what is "bitter apple"?

It acts as a Taste deterrent. Here's a link from Petco...

Bitter Apple

I got a special mixture from a vet in KC that is half Bitter Apple and half Liquid Heat. My dogs don't want any part of licking it! But, there have been several times I've just been able to cover a leg wound with a sock and they didn't bother it.

Edited by Chicocat

Ann

NewSiggy09b.jpg

Guest rumblephish

Speaking as someone who sees these things when they get out of control - take her to the vet!

They will be able to give you something better than Neosporin and perhaps give you something to stop the itch (pills and/or ointment) rather than trying to stop the dog licking at something that obvoiusly bothers her.

Mike