Prayers For Duke, Please

Guest BlueCrab

Guest BlueCrab

Keep Dukie in your prayers today, please. My old man is kind of on the skids. Two days ago, came home from work to find him lying on kitchen floor, listless, eyes not looking good. Wouldn't eat. Just wanted to sleep. Pondered trip to e-vet but he seemed to be ok sleeping so we let him be and watched. Yesterday morning, new dog. Waggy, back to 'normal' (as normal as 13-yo hound can be), hungry, seemed happy. Wanted his walk and his breakfast and his bickies. So we figured he'd shaken it off.

Last night home from work, back to the listless, no eating, just wanted to sleep. Now if Duke doesn't eat, we have reason to be concerned. Called vet, said we could get in at 2 pm today with him. This morning, pretty bad. Breathing quite labored, didn't want to eat again, eyes look bad, couldn't get comfortable on his bed. He's going out ok and the output all seems normal. There's nothing he could have eaten that would bring on problems. Our house is like Fort Knox after many years of learning that nothing is safe. We don't even put a tree up anymore after dealing with repeated ornament thefts. So the vet got us in early and DH just took him in. They wanted to keep him for the day, do x-rays, blood work, fluids so DH left him.

I think it's just the old age and lumps finally catching up with him. He's an old guy and I'm not expecting miracles here. But it's a crummy time of year to have to think about this. And I've got to try to work and get ready for mandatory travel on Jan. 2 all the while wanting to call the vet to find out what's what. And worry about Trixie....we got her in Feb and she's never been home alone without her old boyfriend.

So keep him in your thoughts for me.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sending my many prayers and gentle hugs. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Oh, Carolyn! I hope it's nothing serious. Give the old man some scritches for me when you all get home. :hope :hope :hope (Of course, throw a few in for Trixie :) )

Sending prayers. It might be something quite fixable if he gets to a vet.

He's at the vet's - they're keeping him for the day.

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Guest BlueCrab
Oh, Carolyn! I hope it's nothing serious. Give the old man some scritches for me when you all get home. :hope :hope :hope (Of course, throw a few in for Trixie :) )

Thanks Meredith. Yeah, I don't know what we'll do at the Horse Center if our 'honorary greyhound' isn't there to guard the soda machines :( !

Oh, Carolyn! I hope it's nothing serious. Give the old man some scritches for me when you all get home. :hope:hope:hope (Of course, throw a few in for Trixie :) )

Thanks Meredith. Yeah, I don't know what we'll do at the Horse Center if our 'honorary greyhound' isn't there to guard the soda machines :( !

I know! I love to see him out there, standing calming, wondering what all the dang fuss is about :)

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Guest Tenderhearts

Those symptoms sound very similar to what Raven was experiencing when my oldest daughter left her here over two years ago.

She has congestive heart failure. Normally she is a total chow hound, but like your pup wasn't interested in food, listless, eyes didn't look right, and labored breathing, along with coughing.

She was much improved after just one day of being on heart meds (enalapril, furosemide)! :)

Guest BlueCrab

Unfortunately, it turns out to be a tumor on his heart. I'm not terribly surprised, as he's been "lumpy" for years. Most of the lumps have turned out to be benign but not this time. There's naught we can do for him so we'll be saying goodbye to him tonight.

Thanks to all for the wishes and prayers. He'll be able to chew up cat food cans at the bridge with Otto now.