I Need Help, Please....

I have now cleaned my walls for the 4th time in 3 weeks since Emma has come "home" :inlove

They are probably the cleanest they have EVER been ! Due to Emma wagging her extremely long tail very hard (It's like getting hit with a whip! - I think :blink: )

It does not seem to bother her at all - in fact, I don't think she even notices ! I have put bandages on and needless to say THAT bothers her and she pulls them right off - so, what works >

Any sugestions? I'll try anything.................

thanks !

mollysiggy-1.jpgemmasiggy-1.jpg

If it's at the very end of the tail, what you'll want to do is as follows.

You will need:

- a nonstick gauze pad

- some neosporin

- vetwrap

- medical adhesive tape (any kind)

- Elastikon (very sticky tan tape)

- BANDAGE SCISSORS!!!!! Do not proceed without 'em 'cause you'll need 'em to change the bandage.

1 - Clean it very well (mild soap and water, rinse well).

2 - Take a small nonstick gauze pad and smear a little neosporin or similar on it (the gauze pad).

3 - Put the gauze pad over the owie. Secure with just a little medical adhesive tape, just a couple little tabs, not all around the tail.

4 - Now cut a couple inches of gauze sponge or vetwrap. Fold it up till it's maybe 3/8" thick. You're making a pad to protect the owie.

5 - Place your pad over the gauze pad over the owie. Secure with a bit of medical adhesive tape, just a couple little tabs, not all around the tail.

6 - Now take your vetwrap and first wrap LENGTHWISE, from @ 3-4 inches above your gauze pad, down over the end of the tail and up the underside to @ where you started.

7 - Now just press the vetwrap together and fold a bit so it conforms to the tail. Snip the corners off at the end of the tail so you don't have a big blob.

8 - Now take some Elastikon - sticky tan tape - and begin wrapping around the tail starting at the bottom. Doesn't need to be tight. Just kinda press it in place. And don't overlap it a lot, you're just covering the vetwrap. The important part is, keep wrapping till @ 6" UP the tail PAST your vetwrap.

9 - Change bandage in 2 days. If all well, rebandage and leave for 3. Then 4. Change every @ 4-5 days thereafter. Keep it dry.

10 - And the really important part is, keep a bandage on it until it forms a scab, the scab falls off leaving a nice pink scar, and FOR AT LEAST THREE WEEKS THEREAFTER.

11 - Any swelling, discharge other than a drop or two of blood, weird smell, etc., see your vet ASAP.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

thanks so much ! fortunately, DH does highway construction and has these huge industrial size first aid kits with everything in them ! he is going to the truck now to get it so, we can get busy...............................and emma will sit perfectly still through all these steps right ? ;)

seriously - thank you - I wasn't worried the first time but, 4 times - I was starting to worry -thanks for the advice !

good luck I ditto Batmoms advice. Psi hade this issue for over a year and unfortunatly I had to amp cause it wouldnt heal so fingers crossed for you hope it heals

Cassie: Pikes Clara Bell Swoop: My Man Swoop

BRIDGE ANGELS Psi:WD'S Aleford 3/17/00-4/25/10 Snowman: Gable Snowman 1/9/96-2/14/08

George had happy tail when I adopted him. It took a good three months, but his healed COMPLETELY and has not come back.

If you end up taking her to the vet, DO NOT let the vet shave the area. It makes it much harder to bandage and it takes longer to heal.

My old dog had a bad, bad case, and ended up losing 2 inches of his tail (only because he had to have a major leg surgery, and it had been 16 weeks of living in what looked like a butcher shop!), but he had plenty to spare so it was no big deal!

Remember: less is more with the bandage. If it's too heavy, it will come flying off. Make sure you get the adhesive tape wrapped in with the tail hair.

I actually found that bandaides work nicely as a first layer! They have the gauze pad built right in, are light and sticky, and easy to get on.

Over that a light layer of gauze for additional padding. The tape in BOTH directions (over the tip of her tail, and then around it) and over that vet wrap. Don't do too much vet wrap, and don't do it really tight.

I would change every 3 days.

I actually showed my vet how to do it right, as her bandages came off in less than 3 hours, and mine typically lasted 3 days! She was thrilled to learn a new technique!

Good luck!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Patrick cut his tail and a ton of the bandaid wound glue finally got it to stop bleeding. After that, it healed up just fine on its own. Granted, the actual cut was very very small, just bleeding prolifically.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Thanks for all the advice ! We bandaged it last night and she hasn't pulled it off :yay (Of course she is busy trying to get to her spay stitches - her spay was Tuesday - we might have to get the lampshade out today) Poor girl, 2 boo boos in a week - of course they are not even phasing her as she is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HAPPY here ! I have never seen a pupper that roaches half as much as she does - she is Queen Roachie ! She was even roaching in the car on the home from her spay Tuesday ! She puts a smile on my face everytime I look at her !

I'm hoping her happy tail heals and we won't ever have to amp it ! Poor Psi (Although there is plenty of it too, like Susan's old dog)

Ugh, happy tail!

I'm still finding blood drops on the walls from Crooke's happy tail 8 years ago!!!

Good luck with the bandaging.

Oh, and try a muzzle with duct tape on the end to keep her from getting at her spay sutures.

Did you try to call me last night?

Elphie, Kulee, Amanda, Harmony, Alex (hound mix), Phantom, Norbet, Willis (dsh), Autumn (Siamese) & Max (OSH) & mama rat, LaLa & baby Poppy! My bridge kids: Crooke & Mouse (always in my heart), Flake, Buzz, Snake, Prince (GSD), Justin & Gentry (Siamese), Belle (Aussie/Dalmatian mix), Rupert (amstaff) and Fred, Sirius, Severus, Albus, George, Hagrid, Hermione, Minerva, Marilyn, Wren, Molly, Luna, Tonks, Fleur, Ginny, Neville, Bill, Percy, Rose & Charlie (rats)

Ugh, happy tail!

I'm still finding blood drops on the walls from Crooke's happy tail 8 years ago!!!

Good luck with the bandaging.

Oh, and try a muzzle with duct tape on the end to keep her from getting at her spay sutures.

Did you try to call me last night?

Yes, check the next post about Molly - I was calling you to let you know about that.