Laddie Is Neutered But Still Has The...umm...packaging

Guest amn70

I noticed this on Laddie right after we got him. I've had quite a few dogs over the years, all different breeds and all males and all neutered and I have never seen it done like that. They usually remove the scrotum completely. It looks sorta odd. Actually thought it was a remnent of poop stuck to him at first. But its just this loose shriveled skin that hangs down, don't mean to be so detailed. :-). Honestly it looks really weird. The other day jokingly I said we need to get him some cosmetic surgery to have it removed. My friend actually told me that he saw on TV that some guy had a prostesis or two technically put into his dog after he was neutered so the dog would feel more normal. Hmm, since the packaging is still there already maybe I should have this done instead :-) Seriously though, has anyone else come across this type of neutering with their dogs?

Weird, huh? Carl is my second male dog and he has a little, um, empty coin purse hanging between his legs. I'm guessing it because he was neutered as an adult (3 years old) and not a puppy. Carl was already "filled out", as it were. It doesn't seem to bother him at all, but I agree, it looks kind of weird. My other male was neutered at 6 months, so he had nothing between his legs.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

That's normal. :) Sully's has almost disappeared over the past 4 years, now there is only a tiny flap of skin. Diesel's is a bit bigger, but it too has reduced in size. They were neutered as adults, not puppies, so the skin had a chance to grow and stretch to accommodate the testicles. :) they were just removed, and the skin stitched back up, so it leaves a little 'change purse' :lol .

In vino veritas
Rachael with Rook, missing Sully, Sebau, and Diesel

Guest Tenderhearts

That would be referred to as the 'empty coin purse around here' :rofl

That's pretty much standard procedure anymore, and it does shrink up a bit after time.

My daughter's cocker mix was a stray at the pound, already neutered when he was picked up by A/C, and he had no 'coin purse' left.

The skin will shrink up - most shrink to be pretty much not noticable.

Regarding using neuticals ...... I truely believe they are for the people, not the dog, I think the dog really doesn't care. Personally, I'd wait for the shrink....

Lee: (RR's Busy): Oswald Cobblepot X Lively Layla (10/14/97 - 01/22/10) ; Cool: (P's Cool Runner): P's Raising Cain X My Cool Runner (3/3/97 - 12/26/09) ; Nutty: (Itsanutterbutter): State of the Art X Itsalmostsaintly ; Waterproof: (KB's Waterproof): Oshkosh Slammer X Special Lady* ; Sadie: my sweet silly girl: 5/5/98 - 11/26/05

I got my first greyhound who was five a couple days after neuter....it did look weird but it shrinks up with some time and you won't be able to see if soon.

gallery_4518_2903_10272.jpg
Donna and...Lucy and Chubb
Rascal H 10/1/91-5/22/04 My best friend and Bounty Boon 1/23/99-6/25/07 My boy with the biggest heart
Cody 7/28/99-8/1/13 My boy that always made me laugh and Dylan 5/12/04-12/29/2017 The sweetest boy ever

Miss Mollie 1/1/99-1/30/15 and Pixie :heart:heart-10/10/2017 Lincoln :heart-2/14/2021

Perfectly normal. Dakoda - nongrey- was neutered at about 6 or 7 months (he was approx. 6 mos. when I found him) and he still had his scrotum all my other boys - greys, were done once the entered a group, therefore adults and also still have their scrotums too. They do shrink to near nothing in time.

Perfectly normal. To remove the scrotum would be far more invasive to the dog, and create a very large wound.

As for the neuticles, I completely agree - the dog has no clue, and couldn't care less if he's neutered. They don't think of things like that like humans do.

Funny aside about neuticles, though: A couple years ago, I heard a story about a dog show person who had a male with an undescended testicle. This person really wanted to show the dog, so had a neuticle implanted. (VERY unethicle, and illegal in the AKC). As the judge went over the dog, he looked up at the handler upon checking the scrotum, and said, "Three?" Apparently, the undescended testicle came down, just in time for the show!

I don't know how true that story is, but I can see it happening!

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

Guest greypack

Normal. When I picked up my first grey, a big boy, I pointed out to the adoption counselor -who told me he was neutered- that there was something still there. She said that it is b/c he was neutered at an older age, and not as a pup, and that it will slowly get smaller and smaller as he ages. It has.

Just wait until you experience the "olives"....hopefully someone can post a link to that thread here. :rofl

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Guest cas0673

WOW! That's something. We always had female dogs that were neutered early in life. I thought my males "coin purse" was normal for a male too. That is interesting, what a great question.

Guest GunnyGirl
My friend actually told me that he saw on TV that some guy had a prostesis or two technically put into his dog after he was neutered so the dog would feel more normal.

Ahem..."normal" to who??????? :blink: Someone needs to tell this guy to stop going around feeling his dog's "coin purse"

:youcrazy

I couldn't resist...........

Guest luckydog
WOW! That's something. We always had female dogs that were neutered early in life. I thought my males "coin purse" was normal for a male too. That is interesting, what a great question.

Females are spayed, not neutered.

Yes, it's quite normal. Jack was nearly ten when he was done and his 'coin purse' was the largest I've seen. It has shrunk quite a bit, though.

Not so.. both sexes are neutered, ie, turned into a 'neuter' as opposed to a full gender. Females are spayed, but males (stop reading right here, guys) are castrated. ;)

:lol

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guess I always assumed with my other dogs that my the vet removed the whole package so I never gave it much thought until I saw what Laddie had stashed. My other dogs always had it done as pups so now I know why. When I was a kid I used to annoy my terrier mix Tuffy by saying "They threw your balls in the garbage". He would actually get this humiliated look on his face. It was priceless. My parents thought it was hilarious too. :rotfl

If you want to get really techincal and correct, all are "neutered". Males are castrated and an ovariohysterectomy is performed on females. Neutered is a proper and neutral (strange for only English speakers, but speakers of other languages must contend with male/female and sometimes neutral forms) word for all genders of animals.

In re, the OP: age also has something to do with how much the skin of the scrotum shrinks (everything gets less elastic over time). A dog neutered at 7 or even 10 WILL have some visible skin hanging, no matter what, whereas a dog that's neutered at 2 may have almost nothing left.

Lynn

Guest kathymadej
I noticed this on Laddie right after we got him. I've had quite a few dogs over the years, all different breeds and all males and all neutered and I have never seen it done like that. They usually remove the scrotum completely. It looks sorta odd. Actually thought it was a remnent of poop stuck to him at first. But its just this loose shriveled skin that hangs down, don't mean to be so detailed. :-). Honestly it looks really weird. The other day jokingly I said we need to get him some cosmetic surgery to have it removed. My friend actually told me that he saw on TV that some guy had a prostesis or two technically put into his dog after he was neutered so the dog would feel more normal. Hmm, since the packaging is still there already maybe I should have this done instead :-) Seriously though, has anyone else come across this type of neutering with their dogs?

My Greyhound, Leopard, also has the same kind of neutering. And I did read about that article for artificial implants for testicles. Really, now. It doesn't bother me and it doesn't bother him.

Kathy

My dog also has the empty packaging too. I also read about that article on "implants for testicles for dogs". It doesn't bother him and it doesn't bother me.

Kathy