Ant Poison

Guest warlock

Guest warlock

I was hanging out with the guys last night, and weber was chewing on something that sounded "plasticy" I got up to check, and it was an ant trap we laid out months ago.

When we initally put them out, he didnt even smell them, he just left them alone. As winter is coming on, he is apparently starving to death and eating anything he can come across. Including this.

I dont think he got any of it in his mouth. I took it away with in 20-30 seconds of chewing, gave him some milk and a bit of bread. Kinda random I know, but its all I could think of initially. He seemed fine, and still seems fine. Is there anything I should watch for? Any signs that may have not shown in the past 16 hours or so?

TIA

--warlock

Do check with your vet or animal poison control promptly, but don't panic. There usually isn't a lot of poison in those things.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Depending upon the type of bait used, it may actually be the same thing that's used for control of ectoparasites (fipronil). The pesticides employed these days are much safer than they used to be.

Modern ant bait stations have much smaller quantities of toxin than ever before, and they are engineered to be much more effective on insects than mammals.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Guest greytbookert

Our Eric ate an ant trap a few years ago and I called the poison line and the vet in a complete panic. I was told that the brand he ate, he would have had to eat about 800 of them to cause an issue. The only thing they were worried about was the plastic, so they instructed me to give him some white bread to coat the plastic. He was and is fine....

I hope your pup is doing fine this morning!

Guest warlock

Unfortunately, the box has been gone for months. He had a super poop that night, and has been fine ever since. It does not really seem to have effected him at all. :)

Guest KatieGrey

Was it something like Terro ant poison? I had a cat get step on a terro ant trap filled with that gooey poison and got it stuck to his paw last year. He proceeded to eat the poison off and tracked it all over the house, I freaked out until I looked it up on their website. The ingredients are very similar to the flea control powder we put in our carpet to control fleas, FleaBusters, which is powdered borate I believe.

Here is something from their website:

I accidentally stepped on one of the ant traps. How toxic is this bait and will this exposure harm me? What if my cat or dog gets into the bait and eats some?

TERRO® Liquid Ant Bait is a sweet food based product similar to pancake

syrup combined with Borax. Borax is a mineral that is mined in the desert

in California and is a common active ingredient that is used in soap

products such as 20 Mule Team Borax.

The product kills ants but will not harm people or pets. If you spill some

on your skin there will be no reaction at all. Simply wash with warm water.

Pets occasionally find the Terro and eat it. Our advice when this happens

is to do nothing at all. The product is not toxic enough to cause a problem

and the pet will be just fine.

I had that happen too. Rascal actually consumed the whole thing before I could get it out of his mouth. Poison control said with a big dog that the poison would not hurt him but he would be barfing up the plastic. Exactly what happened!!

That dog would eat darned near anything.....still miss him so...

gallery_4518_2903_10272.jpg
Donna and...Lucy and Chubb
Rascal H 10/1/91-5/22/04 My best friend and Bounty Boon 1/23/99-6/25/07 My boy with the biggest heart
Cody 7/28/99-8/1/13 My boy that always made me laugh and Dylan 5/12/04-12/29/2017 The sweetest boy ever

Miss Mollie 1/1/99-1/30/15 and Pixie :heart:heart-10/10/2017 Lincoln :heart-2/14/2021

• 14 years later...
On 12/14/2007 at 1:48 PM, Guest warlock said:

I was hanging out with the guys last night, and weber was chewing on something that sounded "plasticy" I got up to check, and it was an ant trap we laid out months ago.

When we initally put them out, he didnt even smell them, he just left them alone. As winter is coming on, he is apparently starving to death and eating anything he can come across. Including this.

I dont think he got any of it in his mouth. I took it away with in 20-30 seconds of chewing, gave him some milk and a bit of bread. Kinda random I know, but its all I could think of initially. He seemed fine, and still seems fine. Is there anything I should watch for? Any signs that may have not shown in the past 16 hours or so?

TIA

--warlock

I had the same problem with my dog. He was eating a Combat ant trap and it cost me a pretty penny at the vet. My vet told me to buy these ant trap covers called TrapJak bait station cover. They worked  absolutely perfect! The trapjak attaches to your lower baseboard with this real strong adhesive tape and the bait traps slide right inside. The dog cant get to it and the traps become invisible. You would never know there was an ant trap in the room. It blends right in with the wall! Its a really awesome product! I bought it on the companys website at https://trapjak.com and I believe they are also sold on walmart and amazon. I high recommend them if your pet has an ant trap habit!