Do Your Hounds Pass Gas When Nervous?

Guest EmilyAnne

Guest EmilyAnne

Henry's first day home, boy did he stink the house up! :o Within a few hours of arriving home though, the farting situation was much better.

The night of Henry's grand mal, before his seizure, I remember I had such a hard time sleeping cause he was stinking up the bedroom like you would not believe. I remember tossing and turning and thinking to myself about how I was going to have to post about it here at Greytalk in the morning. Well Herny ended up having a MASSIVE grand mal seizure that night. I am thinking he knew that seizure was coming on and was scared.

Next time Henry passes a lot of gas, I am going to give him Rescue Remedy and really try to keep him calm. I am glad Henry passes a lot of gas when he is upset because it is a good indicator so that I know if he is nervous.

Henry is my first hound. (He is actually greyhound/coohound) I was wondering about the rest of ya'll's greys. Do they also pass a lot of gas when they are nervous/scared?

Nope! Gus has frequently left us feeling like we should have called the Haz Mat Team with his dogfarts. He's pretty cool about it though. When he does it, he turns around and looks at his butt like "Who said dat????"

large.rycezmom_Sig.jpg.c7b7915d082b1bb35
The more I see of man, the more I like dogs. ~Mme. de Staël
Missing my Bridge Angels Ryce, Bo, Jim, Miss Millie, Miss Rose, Gustopher P Jones (Pimpmaster G), Miss Isabella and Miss Star

Oh, yes. Argus especially was the worst about this. When we were bringing him home from the kennel and he was riding in a car for the first time, DH almost ran off the road because his eyes were stinging so bad. We had to roll all the windows down.

Also have noticed that they blow their coats when they're anxious, like on trips to the vet.

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

Guest Winterwish
...Well Herny ended up having a MASSIVE grand mal seizure that night. I am thinking he knew that seizure was coming on and was scared.

That's really interesting. I hope Henry's doing well tonite.

In general,yes,nerves causes gas, The panting may have something to do with it,in and out of air,swallowing air here and there. Or the belly gets a bit 'hyper active' from nervousness. Each can result if gas.

...When he does it, he turns around and looks at his butt like "Who said dat????"

:spoot "who said dat??" -- :lol:

We stopped in at the vet one morning for a pain injection for Ryan. He does not like going to the vet's office. Good things never happen to him there. Just as the tech was bending down and injecting him in his hind leg, he farted something nasty. I apologized to her. Next visit for another pain injection, she approached from the front instead :lol:

-Trudy

large.greyhound_signature.gif

Guest Forgreys

My two girls have gas as well as my two former girls who are now at the Rainbow Bridge. Bella is the worst of all of them. She will stink up a room, and then move to another room to do the same. The whole house gets it. Her problem is the raw hides and if she eats grass. Angel very very rarely does. But Angel never eats grass.

:colgate

Yup, passing gas is very much a nervous reaction. So is dandruff (suddenly they're just full of it!) and heavy shedding.

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

Guest Grapehound

Raisin gets super shed-y and flakes like crazy when she's nervous. I always think the vet is going to tell me to brush her more often or something. ;) But at least she doesn't get gas, so now I feel better!

Guest greycious_gal

Well, we don't have technicolor toots too often here, but...

When we do have tooting goin' on, we've been able to predict the cause. Most of the time someone has to 'fess up to a human goodie gone bad. :P And, can I tell you? It is ALWAYS with a playbow! There are NO stealthy playbows in this house...EVER! :rotfl

Guest lvl0cmr

Mine drop hair like crazy when they are scared-mainly at the vet. As far as gas goes, they don't get it when they are nervous, it is when everyone is nice and relaxed, like they know just how to ruin movie night or mommy and daddy's "cuddle time".