Bald Spots

Guest Spencers_Greyt

Guest Spencers_Greyt

My foster boy Clyde was very skinny when I got him on Nov. 9th. I have him finally at the weight he should be at and in general looks a lot better but he has very dry skin and a lot of bald spots. He has them on his back and on his legs. And he's typically bald on the backs of his thighs but his baldness is on the front of his legs too. It concerns me because his coat has not gotten any better - it's lackluster, dry and generally in bad shape. I attached a couple of pics of the biggest bald spot he has on his back. He's extremely hard to photograph so this is the best I can do. Any recommendations on what I can do for him?

DSC01217.jpg

DSC01218.jpg

This one of his back makes it look like his whole back is bald, just look at the white spots, that's where the hair loss is.

DSC01220.jpg

What was Clyde's racing name? He looks similar to our foster, Dash.

Dash has a couple of dings that look like bald patches, too. If Clyde is straight off the track, it may be a while before he blows his track coat. Until then, a good diet will help when the fresh fur comes in. Fish capsules from Costco, maybe some peanut butter in his kibble, that kind of thing.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Guest snowberry

Coats can take a long time to respond, and if you've only just got him up to a healthy weight, the nutrition will only now start going to his coat rather than his insides. It may not be until he blows his coat in spring that it really comes back.

With Herbie, it took about three months before the bald patches start to fill in, but it was six months before he started to look nicely glossy. He hated kelp powder - maybe tablets would have worked better - and equally wouldn't touch anything with dried nettle flakes on - but fish oil and evening primrose oil were both good.

(I don't know the dog's history, obviously, and I'm assuming mange has been ruled out, but I've seen greys get into a fight, try to nip, and end up tugging out a clump of hair - I had a foster grey tug out a couple of clumps on Herbie until she was babygated apart. It grew back OK)

Edited by snowberry

Try fish oil or salmon oil....those should help. Those dry patches aren't scars, are they? Grace has a small spot on her rump that will never grow hair, and Fenway has a few spots like that now too.

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

It might be something like a staph infection, ringworm or mange...or even a thyroid issue.

Is he losing hair or do the hairless spots seem to be getting worse/bigger? How is he doing otherwise?

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

Guest Spencers_Greyt

Thanks for the responses! I haven't ruled out mange but since I have had him over a month now and the other dogs don't have any bald spots I'm inclined to think it's not that although I will send my adoption group photos to get their opinion. I'm thinking his coat problem is due to poor nutrition and I'll give him fish oil in his food and see if that will help. His hair is dry and lifeless. And no the bald patches aren't scars although he has plenty of those too!

Thanks again and I'll keep you posted!

Donna