Dee's Itchy Legs

Please give me some suggestions.

The inner sides of Dee's legs, mostly the left leg, is very itchy. She has an infection on the skin for which she is taking antibiotics. The thing is, I can't get her to stop licking her legs, short of sticking a cone on her. Is there anything I can do, a cream or something I can put on, or something that makes it taste bad? (who am I kidding, she eats poop, as if that would help).

She's making her skin raw. :(

Remembering the games we used to play: Games We Used to Play: A Hop, Skip and Jump Down Memory Lane

Oscar (Answer to Chevy): 8/23/02-8/13/07 & Dee (Cee Bar Denise): 12/23/98-8/28/08.

Order your own copy of Oscar's Diaries: Life as a Retired Greyhound

I had a foster with a similar problem. The vet had us use a topical steroidal spray for hers (it was likely an allergy) but it also had a very bitter taste - solved two problems at once, sorta thing.

Maybe check with the vet for something similar? I don't know if you'd want to use something like bitter apple spray, because it could likely sting and maybe interfere with the skin healing - though that's just a guess.

With the foster it was a viscious cycle - irritation, licking, more irration, more licking. The key is to interrupt that cycle so things can heal... and in some cases that might mean something like a cone if nothing else works!

Good luck.

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

I would think if you put a cream on it she'd just lick it off and if she's a poop eater I don't think anything you put on it would taste bad to her : )

How about some long tube socks? You could cut the feet off and the wrap a little vet wrap or a piece of adhesive tape around the top and the bottom to hold them up. If you get the cotton ones they hopefully wouldn't irritate her skin.

blackgreys5.jpg

, Phoenix, Okie, Casey, and Ellie the Galga; with Aggie, Alexa, Bear,Cody, Gianni V., Missy B, Babette, Bernice, and BooBoo at the Bridge