Puppy Prozac And Other Delights

Guest MerlinsDad

Guest MerlinsDad

My ex-racer Merlin is about 10 (60+ in people years according to my vet) and is extremely sensitive to loud noises. During thunderstorms he's been known to quake violently and hide in the bathtub or behind my bed's headboard. The first time he heard fireworks after adoption about 7 years ago he got my living room rug "wet"--after he crawled under a table.

As he has gotten older his nervous tendencies have become more pronounced and I brought it up with my vet. She recommended Valium before the storms got too severe. After about a month he didn't seem to be any calmer during storms or when hearing loud noises. The vet said that Prozac might be just the thing to help him relax more and even out the anxiety. (It's tough being a greyhound, after all.) Thank goodness it's generic now!

He's been on it for about 2 months now and it has seemed to help some.

I'm curious to know if anyone else has a grey that is afflicted like this.

Thanks in advance.

I have a dog who has been on Prozac for about two years now. His issues are stress anxiety and fear agression. He is also extremely sensitive to loud noises. But, we have been taught and were told, that for the medication to be most successful, there should be a partnership with behavior modication. What is it that you are working on with your pup?

It is also very good that you have seen results in such a short time period. We did as well with our dog and were told that is most unusual. The quality of your dog's life should continue to improve. What dosage is he on and are you expected to increase the medication? I would also like to point out that you can get this medication at Walmart at a very reduced price.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest grey_dreams
I have a dog who has been on Prozac for about two years now. His issues are stress anxiety and fear agression. He is also extremely sensitive to loud noises.

I am working on separation anxiety with Zuki. I know that some people use Clomicalm for SA. Could you please tell me about using Prozac for hounds? Is it more of a general stress/anxiety medication than Clomicalm? Do you know if Prozac is used for SA too? What kind of behavior changes have you seen improve with the use of Prozac? Thanks very much for any information you can give me. :)

Here's some info on the canine formulation of Prozac and it's uses Reconcile . I met a couple at a M&G two weeks ago that recounted their experience with SA with their greyhound, Larry, that they adopted about a year ago. Their vet prescribed Reconcile and along with some alone training (they weren't specific about the method they used) he is now fine when they're not home. They were able to wean him off the medication but I don't know the time frame. Hope this helps.

Edited by galgrey

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Guest greyladydown
I have a dog who has been on Prozac for about two years now. His issues are stress anxiety and fear agression. He is also extremely sensitive to loud noises.

I am working on separation anxiety with Zuki. I know that some people use Clomicalm for SA. Could you please tell me about using Prozac for hounds? Is it more of a general stress/anxiety medication than Clomicalm? Do you know if Prozac is used for SA too? What kind of behavior changes have you seen improve with the use of Prozac? Thanks very much for any information you can give me. :)

Prozac, in combination with behavioral modification, is now being recommended by many vets for SA. I've been using amitriptyline (brand name: Elavil) with good success for SA. It's faster acting than Clomicalm, which is a plus. As with all anti-anxiety medications, blood work is needed periodically to check for side effects.

Guest MerlinsDad
I have a dog who has been on Prozac for about two years now. His issues are stress anxiety and fear agression. He is also extremely sensitive to loud noises. But, we have been taught and were told, that for the medication to be most successful, there should be a partnership with behavior modication. What is it that you are working on with your pup?

Here's some info on the canine formulation of Prozac and it's uses Reconcile . I met a couple at a M&G two weeks ago that recounted their experience with SA with their greyhound, Larry, that they adopted about a year ago. Their vet prescribed Reconcile and along with some alone training (they weren't specific about the method they used) he is now fine when they're not home. They were able to wean him off the medication but I don't know the time frame. Hope this helps.

Prozac, in combination with behavioral modification, is now being recommended by many vets for SA. I've been using amitriptyline (brand name: Elavil) with good success for SA. It's faster acting than Clomicalm, which is a plus. As with all anti-anxiety medications, blood work is needed periodically to check for side effects.

I'm working on SA and Fear Aggression with Merlin. He's taking the generic of Prozac (fluoxetine) 20 mg once a day. I'm thinking about asking the vet to consider upping the dose a bit. He's been less terrified of thunderstorms, but still has a huge startle reflex if someone strange comes around (tail-wagging, but barking like a junkyard dog). Also when I went to take him out (after he asked) sometimes he would just freeze and want to go back in. It was like there were ghosts or aliens outside! He seems to be less afraid like that too.

Thanks for the info!!!

Edited by MerlinsDad

:blink: My 11 year old boy Payne is on 40 mgs prozac per day. It has helped him remarkably well. He was terrified of everything, plus nobody ever really gave the poor guy a chance before (we are his 5th family; have now had him 3 years last month - he will NEVER be bounced again.) I can sympathize with how neurotic he was, since I'm highly sensitive too...

:blink:

Jackie with Tangerine and Chimes

Always missing Gracie, Steely, Annie, Payne, Twilite, Janey Bug, Bindi, Sophie, and Dazzle

have you thought about also using a Storm Defender cape http://stormdefender.com/ in addition to the drugs? I understand that part of the issue with dogs is that they feel the static electricity on their fur which heightens their anxiety.

It's really too bad that the Storm Defenders are patented. I could make the same thing here at home for less than 1/2 the price and still make a profit. I did make one as a gift for a friends dog and my friend really thought it helped.

Guest MerlinsDad
have you thought about also using a Storm Defender cape http://stormdefender.com/ in addition to the drugs? I understand that part of the issue with dogs is that they feel the static electricity on their fur which heightens their anxiety.

It's really too bad that the Storm Defenders are patented. I could make the same thing here at home for less than 1/2 the price and still make a profit. I did make one as a gift for a friends dog and my friend really thought it helped.

Never heard of it before. I'll check into it. Thanks for the idea.

Guest grey_dreams

Thanks Cynthia! I hadn't heard about Prozac for SA before. Prozac is a serotonin reuptake inhibitor, while Clomicalm is a serotonin reuptake inhibitor that can also act with lower specificity on noradrenergic synapse transmission. So they may have similar affects with Prozac being more specific. I will have to talk with my vet about this.

I'm working on SA and Fear Aggression with Merlin. He's taking the generic of Prozac (fluoxetine) 20 mg once a day. I'm thinking about asking the vet to consider upping the dose a bit. He's been less terrified of thunderstorms, but still has a huge startle reflex if someone strange comes around (tail-wagging, but barking like a junkyard dog). Also when I went to take him out (after he asked) sometimes he would just freeze and want to go back in. It was like there were ghosts or aliens outside! He seems to be less afraid like that too.

Thanks for the info! Glad to hear it's helping your boy!