Vomiting After Spay

Guest greyhounder

Guest greyhounder

How long is vomiting normal after a spay/dental for a new hound?

It's been less than 24 hours but she's won't eat or take a pain pill. I don't think she's drinking water either.

How many times has she vomited? What is she bringing up? Does she have a temp?

If she's vomiting (or trying to vomit) repeatedly, she needs to see a vet ASAP.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

I agree with Batmom here. Vomiting is not a good thing, since it's causeing her stomach to retract and which is going to be putting a fair amount of movement on her spay area.

Not taking her pain pill, not eating and not drinking isn't all that unusual within 24hrs of a spay. The sedation seems to take more out of some dogs than others.

More than likely she will start to want a drink, then the desire for food will come next.

Guest greyhounder

She hasn't pulled her stitches or anything.. I don't think she's retching that badly.. Her foster mom said she threw up last night and once a little this morning. She IS drinking now and relaxing. I told her foster mom that if, today, she ever feels uncomfortable with her that she can take her to the nearest E-vet.

We've had dogs vomit the first night (heck, I puke with anesthetic) but never the next day, but she was spayed pretty late in the day yesterday because of an emergency at the vet.

Guest team_weasel

If there is no more vomiting today and as long as she is drinking, her appetite should return soon. Give her little bits of kibble (watered down) at a time. We've had fosters who took a few days before they would eat an entire meal after their spay.. some take a little longer than others to recoup. But yes, take her back to the vet if she is still vomiting today.

Vomiting a few times after spay or neuter is normal. The appetite will return once the anaesthetic and pain subsides.. usually in a couple of days :)

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.