Vitamin E-ointment

Guest orchidman

Guest TriciasZoo

Ok, so maybe I'm the only one who never knew this existed. One of the suggestions I got for Sam's dried and cracked nose was Vitamin E Oil. Well, DH found me ointment, that only has wheat germ and aloe added, so still safe, and much thicker. Hopefully we'll have a healed nose on our boy soon. Just thought I'd bring it up for all the other clueless people out there. :lol I'm putting it into my first-aid kit that I just got for the dogs too. Good stuff. ETA it's Walgreen's brand.

Trish and her crazy zoo

Edited by TriciasZoo

You can make some on your own by mixing the oil with some BNP (Neosporin) or plain old Vaseline. If you have a diabetic friend, co-opt some insulin and add to the mix... I don't know why it works, but Neosporin + Insulin heals stuff up in record time.

Lynn

Vitamin E is fantabulous stuff!! When I had my injury last year (facial lacerations), it was recommended that I use bacitracin to prevent infection and keep it moist (to facilitate healing). It started to get infected anyway, so I tried tea tree oil and vit. E oil. Worked like a charm, and I have very little scarring to show for it! :)

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

Guest TriciasZoo

I hope so too. Fortunately he only does it under stress, and I don't intend on putting him under any. Though I know it can happen unintentionally. Since I know a M&G did it, we won't use him for them for a while, and I'll gradually re-acclimate him to being out, stores, etc.

Guest wmlcml6

I haven't tried the ointment, but pure Vitamin E oil is GREAT for minimizing scarring. I used it on my knees following surgery and the one I was more diligent with has much lighter scars.

Good luck with Sam's nose.