Got Munchie's Tick Panel Results...

Guest LittleGreys

Guest LittleGreys

The clinician she saw was not available, so the one there gave me the results......all negative :(

I guess this means it is immune-mediated. Not what we were hoping for. The Dr I talked to was going to find her clinician and find out where we go from here, what our next step is. I am waiting for that phone call, he said tonight or tomorrow.

Sigh.......

Guest greyladydown
Did they do a PCR for e ewingii?

Or E risticii?? Our senior tested positive for this strain and polyarthritis was one of his symptoms. This test is not part of the regular tick panel

Guest LittleGreys

Or E risticii?? Our senior tested positive for this strain and polyarthritis was one of his symptoms. This test is not part of the regular tick panel

I don't know what all was done, they haven't faxed the report yet. I'm sure no PCR's were done, as she has been on doxy for so long, according to the lab they should be tested before starting doxy.

I didn't hear back from OSU this evening, so hopefully tomorrow.

Edited by LittleGreys

Guest LittleGreys

If it was e ewingii, she should be responding to doxy, though, shouldn't she?

I don't now how far I want to go to try to diagnose a tick disease (I guess I mean the specific tick disease if that's what it is--its definitely important to know if its tick vs immune). My funds have about run out, so I want to spend what I have on getting her better. Since the doxy is not working, I think we have to start thinking about something else. She responded to pred in the past.....Hopefully I will hear from OSU today and we'll come up with our next move.

Guest greyladydown

If it was e ewingii, she should be responding to doxy, though, shouldn't she?

I don't now how far I want to go to try to diagnose a tick disease (I guess I mean the specific tick disease if that's what it is--its definitely important to know if its tick vs immune). My funds have about run out, so I want to spend what I have on getting her better. Since the doxy is not working, I think we have to start thinking about something else. She responded to pred in the past.....Hopefully I will hear from OSU today and we'll come up with our next move.

I think I know what you are going through. A similar thing has been happening with our senior, Ernie. He started to respond to the doxy, but then he got sick again. We put him on pred and azathioprine and he's gotten much better. Our vets (including the OSU team) thinks it was a TBD (E. Risticii) that was dormant for years and suddenly became active. The doxy cleared that up, but the TBD then led to an auto-immune problem. It was so scary. We've spent almost $2,000 on tests, ultrasounds, biopsies and such and at one point we thought we were going to loose him. But he bounced back and is doing great now.

Guest LittleGreys

We go back to OSU on Dec 4. Geez, what a nightmare trying to make an appointment with the front desk! (again). Finally, I said I would just email Dr Marin and have her set it up, they asked if I wanted them to ask her, I said sure, they were back in 5 minutes and OK'd the appointment time we needed. Dr Marin is awesome!! And she's not even in charge of Munchie's case.

Munchie was doing great the last 4-5 days, then last night I noticed her joints were swollen. They are bulging. She wasn't limping, though, but today she is, and is painful. I really hope they can help my baby girl!!