Bobby Has A Lump

Guest pleasantsarg

Guest pleasantsarg

Update:

We went to the vet today to have his bandage changed and the vet told us that he had a thyroid carcinoma on one of his glands (which the vet removed, both the gland and tumor). The vet said that it hadn't spread to his lungs (otherwise he wouldn't have done the surgery) and that he didn't see evidence of it in Bobby's x-ray. We are waiting for the vet to call the oncologist because the vet said that he doesn't see this type of cancer very much and wanted additional information from someone else.

When we were leaving, the owner in front of us had just heard his dog had osteo, I didn't mean to cry (at all) but I know that it just sucks to know something is not right with your dog. I felt for this owner, and for us. At this point I don't really know if Bobby will or won't be ok, but I think that in some ways I am fortunate to have a (more or less) happy & healthy dog laying on my couch right now. I take it as a positive sign that the vet thought he was a good candidate for surgery.

If anyone knows anything about this, please pass the info along.

No experience with this although it sounds like good news so far. Just wanted to wish you and Bobby the best of luck. :clover I'm happy that your baby boy is home on his couch. :grouphug

Chris, with Bixby (aka Clive Bixby, fka Taplin's Bull) and the feline buggle brothers, Oliver and Salem.

Kelsey (Watch the Kick), forever in my heart.

I would contact OSU on this as it is not a common one. Well, I'd contact OSU on any cancer. greyosu@osu.edu

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

OMG Julie! I also agree, contact Dr. Couto at OSU, he may be able to offer some valuable information. He is a wonderful man and if needed I'm sure he would correspond with your vet.

Please give Bobby an ear scritch and a kiss from me.

Hugs to you and Fraz.

Karen

Praying for all the missing greys!

Austin had a soft tissue osteosarcoma (yes, that is correct terminology) in roughly the same place. Because of Austin's damaged heart (heartworm before he was adopted), I decided against chemo. He had it removed in November and it returned in February.

Dr. Couto is familar with this type of cancer and I'd contact Ohio State for guidance.

Sending lots of prayers.

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Guest pleasantsarg

Thanks for the advice, I want to get my act together to put up a picture of Bobby. He seems pretty happy and healthy, and was digging like crazy when we walked to 34th street last night ( a local thing that opened last night, www.christmasstreet.com). I wrote to Dr. Couto and included a link to this topic in my message. I hope Bobby is ok. He really wants to bark, but still coughs a bit when he does.

Austin had a soft tissue osteosarcoma (yes, that is correct terminology) in roughly the same place. Because of Austin's damaged heart (heartworm before he was adopted), I decided against chemo. He had it removed in November and it returned in February.

Dr. Couto is familar with this type of cancer and I'd contact Ohio State for guidance.

Sending lots of prayers.

I am really sorry to hear this. I haven't heard about chemo from our vet yet, I don't really know what it would mean to elect to do that.

Did Austin's cancel return in the remaining gland?

Don't have any advice, just wanted to wish you and your boy well. I'm glad he's feeling well enough to walk and dig :) .

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

• 5 months later...

I just now saw this and am wondering how Bobby is doing. We lost our first greyhound, Tinsel, to thyroid carcinoma.

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound