Cost Of Partial Tail Amputation

Dylan had a partial tail amputation today along with a full dental, toenail trim (while he was under) and was sent home with Clavamox and Tramodol. Our total bill was $187.00. I was absolutley amazed! I even asked the vet if he missed anything on the bill and he said No..I love our VET!!!

Guest Greyhoundbaby

it cost me more than that for 7 stitches and 1/2 afternoon! I love your vet too!

Sorry about the amputation :(

Edited by Greyhoundbaby

I still wonder how much Ace's tail amp would have cost if we'd gone to our regular vet. But it was a Saturday night so we went to the E-vet and it cost us $696 :eek They did a wonderful job of taking care of my baby girl so every penny was worth it though :)

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Are you joking? I'd say clearly there were no x-rays taken of the jaw, so that's not a "full dental," but my vet charged me almost $400 when I brought in my greyhound and a cat for rabies shots: $54 for each animal for the "exam," I think something like $23 for the rabies shots, $45 for the SNAP test on the cat (hasn't been outside in 11 years) and then there was the "clotting factor" blood test she snagged me for ($105) because she had trouble getting the needle into the cat and she decided the cat had something wrong with it, and she also did a CBS on the cat (the "senior profile").

Now they send me reminder cards for the repeat of the test (which was totally normal!) every two weeks. I called them last night and said, "Why woudl I repeat an expensive blood test that was totally normal to begin with?"

Mind you, my cat is 13 years old, she eats, sleeps, and poops, and that's it. She has never been sick a day in her life.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

I'd give your vet a present! :balloonparty One dental alone for one grey was $545.25 here - and that was last year, so I know it has increased. I am pretty sure my vet has paid off a car based on my two greys and their dings, dents, wheel alignments and tune-ups (you get the picture) not to mention the stitches plus various other accessories. NJ is an EXPENSIVE place to live. Glad Dylan is doing well!

Guest FrostyBottoms
it cost me more than that for 7 stitches and 1/2 afternoon! I love your vet too!

Sorry about the amputation :(

Me too...but it was 15 stitches, and a wrap on the other leg too...the whole bill was $240.

Hope Dylan is doing fine!

• 7 years later...
Guest Kwolf78

Hey where exactly did you have your pets tail removed, my vet is charging around 450 for a tail amputation so I was wondering if you could help me out a little bit. I'm from Illinois so it shouldn't so it should be all ok with a drive

Two threads got merged, one new and one old.

Kwolf78, why does your pup need the amputation? Have you spoken with the vet about your financial constraints? Have you looked into care credit?

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."