Need Your Help/suggestions

Guest lotsogreysmom

Guest lotsogreysmom

Ok, before I start......OMG, I hope I never relive that again!!!! I have never seen a dog seize before and it was, by far, the scariest thing I have ever endured!!! I had posted a while back about our grey, Dallas, that had something weird going on with his head.....his head is shrinking....or indented. This was almost a year ago and nothing had changed since, it hasn't gotten worse or anything. Our vet is aware and he has been seen by him and our vet informed us there's not really anything that can be done to correct it. Anyway, he woke us up tonight having a very violent seizure. Called our vet and he said it was a grand mal seizure. I have no experience with this at all so any advice you can give me or suggestions would be appreciated. Is it pretty guaranteed that this is due to the head shrinking or what other things cause seizures? I know there was so others on here that the head shrinking happened to their dog....did your dog start to seize too? Please help!

There are many many reasons for seizures. None of us here are qualified to tell you that his seizure last night was due to his head shrinking (well, 99.9% of us - and the vets here would need more history).

What does your vet think.

You know what a dog seizure is now, so if he does have another, it won't be nearly as scary to you.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it unless he has another seizure.

I do remember there was someone on here whose dog had the head shrinking thing, but I don't think it was a greyhound. I just wanted to mention that sometimes other dogs will try to attack when one dog is seizing, so it might be worth looking into separation of this greyhound from the others when no one is there :grouphug

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

I do remember there was someone on here whose dog had the head shrinking thing, but I don't think it was a greyhound. I just wanted to mention that sometimes other dogs will try to attack when one dog is seizing, so it might be worth looking into separation of this greyhound from the others when no one is there :grouphug

If I remember correctly, it was a Rottie that had that condition.

Seizures are very scary.. but to be honest, I wouldn't get too panicked over it unless it happens again. Typically, a dog will need to have a series of seizures before the vets will consider medication. Even then, they have to be frequent or so severe that they deem it necessary.

Monitor him, and keep a log of the seizure... what did he eat before? how long before did he eat? what was happening just before it happened? Was he overexerted anytime before? Did anything exciting happen before?

Treat it like a diary. That way, it'll be easier to go back and say "Oh I forgot about ..." and often it helps link the seizures together.

It is possible that this was the one and only seizure he'll ever have. :)

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

Hang in there! The 1st grandmal is very scary! We've dealt with a lot of seizures, but none associated to head shrinking. Would your vet refer you to a neurologist to see if there is a connection?

PM if you'd like seizure support. I can be of support or connect you with someone who can.

Guest EmilyAnne

Our late Alfalfa had seizures for ten years. His were pretty mild and far between though. As soon as I saw Alfalfa seizing, I dimmed the lights, made everyone sit still and be quiet, and I sat by Alfalfa with one hand gently on his side until he was done. I always timed the seizures and made note of the length of a description of the seizure on a calendar. Then when I went to the vet I wrote all the seizures down on paper and showed them to the vet. I once made a video and showed the video to the vet. Alfalfa got by wthout meds, our current dog who has seizures is on meds and the pottasium bromide seems to be working wonders for him.

Be sure to let your dog outside to potty when the seizure is over.

our Captain's head became "indented" as well -- then he started having neurological issues (mimicked vestibular disease) -- didn't sieze that we knew of. Took him to the vet, then finally to a neurologist for a MRI, but he told us to save the $1000 -- it was a brain tumor. :( :( Captain had lost feeling on the side of the face that "caved in" (it was behind the eye socket area?). We ended putting him to sleep about 7 days after getting Rainey -- he had gotten to the point where he couldn't even feed himself anymore and it was a quality of life issue. :(

I'm hoping that's not the case with Dallas :( :( :( :( Can you take him to a neurologist, maybe?

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Guest greymom1997
Our late Alfalfa had seizures for ten years. His were pretty mild and far between though. As soon as I saw Alfalfa seizing, I dimmed the lights, made everyone sit still and be quiet, and I sat by Alfalfa with one hand gently on his side until he was done. I always timed the seizures and made note of the length of a description of the seizure on a calendar. Then when I went to the vet I wrote all the seizures down on paper and showed them to the vet. I once made a video and showed the video to the vet. Alfalfa got by wthout meds, our current dog who has seizures is on meds and the pottasium bromide seems to be working wonders for him.

Be sure to let your dog outside to potty when the seizure is over.

My Phillie had seizures due to hypoglycemia/Insulinoma. His seizures were controlled to some degree by keeping his blood sugar normal. Skip also had seizures due to end-stage glomerulonephritis. His blood pressure was all over the place and he would seizure several times a day. They ARE scary at first, but you have to stay calm and keep the dog out of harms way too.

As Trudy posted no one of us are qualified to diagnose, but we can offer some suggestions on what to do in the event one happens again...

1) Stay as calm as possible.

2) Do as "EmilyAnne" posted. Keep a journal noting the day, time and length of the seizure. Also notate foods eaten, meds given previously, etc.

3) A video is good too.

My prayers are with you and hope you get a handle on what is going on with Dallas soon.

Guest mondaysmom

hi there! my monday has seizures and let me start by saying how scary it is to watch! you feel so helpless and all you can do is wait it out. there are so many things that can cause seizures. we thought monday's were due to hypothyroidism and he went on meds fot that. he continued to have them and is now on phenobarbital. i would definately call your vet and talk to them and have them document this in your chart. i would also write it on your calendar so you have a time log in case it happens again. give yourself a hug :grouphug. it's hard to go through, but you made it! i am here to talk if you need me. i am only speaking from my personal experience and we know everyone's situations are different. hopefully he won't have another, but i'm sure your vet will have better insight as to whether his head indention thing has anything to do with this. also know that are there are lots of pups that live a long, healthy, happy life even though they have seizures. it's harder for us as the "mom" to watch than it is for them. monday goes blind after his and i just try to calmly talk to him throughtout the whole thing so he feels safe. good luck and take care. keep me posted as to how your boy is doing.

Edited by mondaysmom

No advice, just hugs. That must have been horrible.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest lotsogreysmom

Thanks for all the kind words and prayers for Dallas. He has been fine all day. Our plan right now is to run a complete bloodwork panel on him and go from there. Our vet is thinking he has a brain tumor that is also associated with the head shrinking issue. So we just wait and see if any more seizures occur. I sure hope not....it's so scarey. My poor boy!