Strange Combination Of Symptoms

Guest lms

Hi all-

A few weeks ago, our 5 1/2 year old grey came down with a nasty case of "big D." It lasted several days, so I took him in to the vet, who put him on 5 days' worth of an A/D/Antibiotic combo. (Metro-something) That worked, and he seemed to be getting back to normal, although the meds in combination with a bland diet made pooping a little uncomfortable for him.

Ever since he's been back on his regular food, he has horrible gas! I know, hounds are known for their paint-peeling bodily functions, but our boy has never had this big a problem. He's also been licking his rear feet almost obsessively. (He wakes us up several times a night with the licking.) His feet have always been sensitive, but they seem to be more sensitive than usual lately. He limps around on rocky areas, more gingerly than he used to.

Could whatever's causing the licking/sensitivity be causing the gas? Or could the licking be causing the gas? I've started wiping his feet when we come in from walks, to see if that cuts down on the licking, but I thought I'd check in with the experts in the meantime.

(And yes, I've checked his feet -- no corns that I can see, and only a split pad that he's had for at least the 2+ years that we've had him. It never healed all the way, but never seemed to bother him much before.)

Guest lizmego

I'd be inclined to think its an allergy to the food. Yes, metronidazole cleared up the Big D but the initial D could have been related to a food allergy. Now he's passing lots of gas (tummy/intestinal issues) and licking (allergic reaction, his feet itch thus his licking). I'm guessing the D will manifest again.

What food are you feeding now? I would try another protein source first. If you're feeding Chicken and Rice, switch to the same brand and buy Lamb and Rice.

He's been eating Kirkland Chicken & Rice for at least two years. I used to switch between that and the Kirkland Lamb & Rice to give him variety, but he'd get picky about the lamb after a few weeks, so I stuck to chicken. Does anyone know if maybe they changed the formula? The ingredients look like they're the same

Thanks!

Guest SYMBASMOMMY

Sounds like a food allergy for sure....what are you feeding him?

Try to boil some chicken and rice today and feed him that for a few days until his tummy gets better then figure out what kind of kibble he can eat by getting something that the protein and carbohydrate in the foods are switched...like if he is eating Lamb and Rice....Try Chicken or Fish and potato.....but I would definitely stop the kibble asap....if his licking gets worse, call the vet to see if you can give him some type of benadryl to stop the itching.....best of luck to you....

Food allergy most likely. Many times companies change the formula without saying anything.

Can you get some Duck & Oatmeal or potato and see if he clears up? Eagle Pack or Natural Balance are two I can think of. Price wise it should come out around the same because you should be able to feed less.

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Thanks, everyone. I thought it might be allergies, but not food-related, since his stomach is MUCH better now. He's only had a questionable-quality poop once or twice since the meds, and other than that, the poops are good. But are you guys saying it's still food-related b/c of the gas?

It just seems odd to me that he would suddenly develop a food allergy where he didn't have one before. And it took us a LONG time to find a food that agrees with him! (Although now it appears that it's not so agreeable...) I just hate to make it worse by switching food around, but if it's the cause, then I guess I should.

How long do I give the "new" food? I know there will be stomach upset issues at first while he's transitioning, but how long once he's fully on the new food should it be before we start seeing improvement?

ETA: And if I switch to a higher quality food, how much should I feed him? He's getting just under 4 cups of Kirkland a day...

Edited by lms

Guest SYMBASMOMMY

I am glad to hear his tummy is better....how is the itching? I thought allergies more because of the itching than the gas....greys get gas and every now and again if a poop is not rock solid, I really don't worry much, it comes with the territory....and I think that is just a common thing.... :wub:

Don't switch yet....just see how the itching is and if all is well, then there may not be a need....but to answer your question....you would just start the new food when you buy it and if it is higher in protein, that would be the only time you would want to feed a bit less....

BTW, try some nice plain yogurt or pure pumpkin mixed into his kibble and see if the gas gets better.....

Keep us updated and crossing fingers your baby gets better soon!

Thanks, SymbasMommy-- I'll try the yogurt/pumpkin thing and see what it does for the gas, and keep washing his feet off to see if that solves the licking. The irony of all this is, since his big D cleared up, the poop has been better than ever, and the gas worse than ever... :dunno

Guest lizmego

Couldn't she also give her dog Benadryl and see if the licking stops? That would definitely tell you then if its an allergy. I can't remember the dosage for benadryl.

Liz- benedryl was going to be the next step after wiping his feet, but I hate to give drugs unless it's absolutely necessary, and I wasn't sure if the gas was related...

Diane - We live in the desert, but he uses the neighbor's (grass) yard to run. It doesn't seem to be any better or worse on days he doesn't run, but we do have desert grasses here, too.... Ears seem to be fine, mouth is normal....

I can try to post one this evening. His feet look completely normal to me. He's licking a lot (tops and bottoms of his toes mostly), but it's not affecting the fur (there no bald patches or anything). It all seems very minor, but he's obviously at least a little uncomfortable.

He licks for about a half an hour after a walk, and then at least once an hour audibly between the hours of 2 am and 5 am. During the day, he probably sleeps like a baby, and waits to lick while we're eating dinner/sleeping/trying to hear the TV.... :P

Defarting? That's what I'm trying to figure out how to do! :lol:

ETA: What would I be checking for on his nail beds? I did notice that one of them bled a little the other day after a hard run. But his nails are on the long side since bad tummy = no treats = Mommy's not allowed to dremel the nails....

Edited by lms

is it a new bag of food? could just be a bad batch. it does sound like an allergy...any carpet cleaning lately? new detergent? different treats?

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Nothing new, except the bag of food. When the big D started, he was nearly finished with the last bag, so we knew it wasn't the food making him sick. I guess it's possible that they changed the formula, but like I said, the ingredients don't look any different to me.

Hmmm... more gas, better poop, new bag of food..... dang. I *really* don't want to play kibble roulette again! (Esp. when his poop is so easy to scoop!) We did that when we first got him, and EVERYTHING gave him problems, except this stuff. And he RUNS (on tile floor, which he hates) for every meal. Argh.

Gas could be result of the antibiotics -- changed the flora in his gut and it'll take a little time to build the good flora back up again. Some folks say yogurt helps; hasn't for me but it doesn't hurt to try.

Feet could be outdoor allergies, could be food, could be just licking little sore spots like that one nailbed. Allergies to food can develop over time so that could be it, but as long as he's not licking himself raw, I'd try the other things first.

Hugs and luck.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest wmlcml6

Hope says try ricotta cheese could help if he doesn't like yogurt. She loves it! The live cultures help introduce good flora into the system. My friend has a big greyhound with bad gas, and the yogurt definitely helps. He always lets her know if she forgets it by fumigating the house. ;-)

Guest GiJenn51

Cinder was allergic to grass, so she would lick her feet all the time. Also you could look at doing some acidopholus gels to get the boo boo belly back in order.