Hope I'm Just A Panicking Mom

Guest HappyHarleysMom

Guest HappyHarleysMom

That's my prayer..I am just over reacting to a past experience. Period.

Harley will see Dr. Wade in the morning, to be examined and get his right front leg exrayed. Today, for the first time I've ever witnessed, he's dragging that front leg, as if he were a small child whom you want to say, "pick up your feet." Not every step is dragging; sometimes he just sways his leg outward to just limp on it, but there is definitely some dragging/scuffing along today.

Harley is 7 1/2 years old. Over the past months, don't know how many, we've seen him prance happily along, and then once in awhile, very slightly, almost unnoticable, that leg would dip down just a bit, as if he tripped on something. We'd laugh it off, since he's continually his silly self, running and playing. Now, I'm thinking back to Wag, my first greyhound, my dear Wag...that's how he started.

Now, I am scared. SCARED. When I first saw it today, I was at the kitchen sink. I heard that familiar scuffing of nails... and I felt this heavy weight hit me, and I am saying to myself, no..no..no..it's not..it can't be. I turned around, watched Harley walk, seeing that front leg dragging...and my heart sank. It is deja vu all over again as if I am watching Waggie. Now, it's hitting me---Wag started this way--tripping once in awhile and the vet saying it's arthritis---then the dragging his front leg off and on like he was scuffing along----then BOOM--it's not arthritis, its bone cancer--then he was gone.

Dr Wade said for me to keep hope, which I am doing, but she also said that nerve damage (leg dragging instead of holding it up when hurt) can be other things besides cancer. I was not brave enough to ask what those other things could be..... She also said greys get weird ailments, and try to not think the worst, although understandable that we tend to get scared....

She also told me awhile back, that a friend of hers is doing a paper on greyhounds, regarding "Greyhound Pain Syndrome" where greys can be drama queens when nothing is wrong. That some greys tend to cry, whine, etc., as if one is torturing them, yet they have no pain at all.....

I'm hoping Harley is just being a Drama Queen, well, King since he's male, and he just wants treats... I know that's not the case here, but I'm trying to stop the feeling of deep, deep, dread.

Thanks for listening,

Sherry, Chuck, Harley, and the Kitties

Oh, Sherry, I can feel your fear and concern. And I can understand it. I'm exactly the same way. Usually tending to over-react, but then thinking that many times my fears have been justified. I'm not going to tell you not to worry (well, you can TRY not to), but when we're afraid something is wrong, and we don't know what it is (or are afraid of what we THINK it is), it just consumes all of our thoughts. So, even if it is NOT what you are dreading most, you're going to worry till you find out. We are all sending out prayers and white light to you and Harley, and hoping that he is fine. He's such a dear, happy, innocent guy, filled with such joy just to be here. It would be unbearable to think of him being sick. I'm sorry I missed seeing you at Dewey. And I haven't been on the GRTB board as much as before. I just haven't managed to find my "voice" since my precious Queen went to the Bridge. So please check in here too, if you can. There is a lot of support. And let us know how your sweet Court Jumper is doing.

Hugs,

Nancy

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

I know that feeling of "dread" and it's horrible to feel. :( My heart is with you... wishing the best possible news from the x-rays tomorrow. Just something minor... :hope:candle

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Guest HappyHarleysMom
Oh, Sherry, I can feel your fear and concern. And I can understand it. I'm exactly the same way. Usually tending to over-react, but then thinking that many times my fears have been justified. I'm not going to tell you not to worry (well, you can TRY not to), but when we're afraid something is wrong, and we don't know what it is (or are afraid of what we THINK it is), it just consumes all of our thoughts. So, even if it is NOT what you are dreading most, you're going to worry till you find out. We are all sending out prayers and white light to you and Harley, and hoping that he is fine. He's such a dear, happy, innocent guy, filled with such joy just to be here. It would be unbearable to think of him being sick. I'm sorry I missed seeing you at Dewey. And I haven't been on the GRTB board as much as before. I just haven't managed to find my "voice" since my precious Queen went to the Bridge. So please check in here too, if you can. There is a lot of support. And let us know how your sweet Court Jumper is doing.

Hugs,

Nancy

Guest HappyHarleysMom

Nancy! I don't post much anymore either, but I was hoping you'd see this one. I haven't been on GRTB much in the last year. But, I've found a very wonderful community right here. I'm new, but nevertheless, folks are very welcoming and caring. I'm glad to see you here too. I think about you often, and Winnie. She was very brave.

Must be Karma that while I reach out for comfort, I'm thinking, 'I hope I hear from Nancy' and you answer.

It's hard, isn't it. The greys give us such joy. Our kids. It's hard to see them get older, and leave. I guess I've been in that false sense of security, watching Harley, thinking he will live forever. My brain knows he won't, but I get in that thought process...he's always going to be with me.

Thanks so much for your comforting words. I can't sleep, and I am hoping tomorrow that I can say to myself, and to everyone else, that I'm just an overprotective mom, and Harley is just fine!

I still get on the boards to read, but not much posting. Thanks Nancy, and if you are at GIG, I want to hug you!

Sherry

Guest HappyHarleysMom

hi iluvgreys,

thanks for your kind words... you know that feeling of dread too...i guess we've all felt it at one time or another with these dear creatures.

yeah, i'm hoping for something minor, so that I can laugh and say, yup, i'm a panicker..

sherry

Sherry I hope it's nothing serious. I know how scary it is. Sending many prayers,

healing thought and a big kiss for your Harley. :kiss2:hope:candle:hope

Please keep us posted. :grouphug

My Rusty was doing exactly the same thing,

I thought it was because he was to heavy(he was on a diet).

Then the problem with his spleen and then his kidneys failed so I

never did find out why he was scuffing around now and then. :sad1

Once you have gone through bone cancer with one dog, you never look at a limp quite the same. Sending lots of hope that it is something simple for your Harley. :goodluck

Hoping for the best possible news. :goodluck

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Guest IrskasMom

Ohhh Sherry .... I can feel your heavy Heart to. But be positiv and we are all

here praying and Harley will be in our Thoughts . Hugs to that special Boy . :hope:hope:hope:hope:hope

Guest trevdog

Sending lots of good thoughts your way....I know exactly what you mean, every little shuffle or missed step, I get nervous.

Edited by trevdog