Joe Update From Wendie

Wonder

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Continued prayers for Joe.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Thank you EVERYBODY for your god thoughts today. And thanks Kari for keeping everyone in the loop :grouphug

Here is the long and short of things - the xrays showed mild problems with one canine tooth. BUT, since he's basically been on antibiotics non-stop since July, they felt that what looked like a little problem was probably a large problem being masked by antibiotics. So they went on with giving him a dental, with the thought that they would remove one canine tooth shown bad in the xray.

Well, that one canine tooth came out in less than a minute!!! He said to give us some perspective, generally removing a dog's canine tooth takes around 30-45 minutes of dental work. Joe's took a minute. And it was in baaaaaad shape. Given the fact that this tooth was that bad, they took out the other one also, which came out in less than 30 seconds :jaw

Given that these teeth were in such rough shape, Dr. Barr is pretty confident that this was the problem. He showed us the teeth (and we took them home with us :lol) and see how LONG the root area of the tooth is beyond the part you can see sticking out, it's very easy to see how tooth problems could be the cause of his bleeding nose. Hell, I'm surprised there is even that much room between the roof of the mouth and the nasal cavity!!

So now we're on the ten day plan - he's getting 10 days of soft food, no toys, pain killers, and antibiotics and at that point in time, life goes back to normal.

While part of me will still be crossing my fingers that the bleeding doesn't reoccur once the antibiotics are out of his system, given how bad these teeth were and that they nearly fell out of his mouth, I'm pretty confident that it was indeed a tooth problem :clap

When we picked him up, he was in GREAT shape - fully awake, not hungover at all, his teeth look great and he's acting perfectly normal, other than being a little more tired than possible. I'm VERY impressed with Dr. Barr and his staff and really wish they weren't two hours away, otherwise all four of my furry friends would be making him their primary vet.

Thanks again for your good thoughts. I will let you all know if anything new occurs, but I'm hoping this is the END of the 8 months of worrying agony for us and the aggravating itchy nose bleeding for Joe.

Forever in my Heart Joe T Greyhound, Charly Bear, Angel Daisy, and Katze & Buzz Kitty.

Guest LolasMom

What a relief!!! :yay I'm sure he'll feel so much better without those nasty toofies acting up.

Rest up Joe and no more nose bleeds to worry your mom! :wub::wub:

I'm so glad to hear that it looks like it is just a tooth issue. Sounds like he is feeling better already! :)

Cosmo (Fuzz Face Cosmos), Holmes (He's a Dream), Boomer (USS Baby Boomer), Ella and missing our angels Clay (Red Clay), Train (Nite Train), Trip (Bock's Teddy Bear),Larry (Bohemian Frigid) and Jimmy (Bohemian Raw)

Hoping for an easy recovery and no more bleeding. You must have been so relieved to pick him up and in such good shape too. Gentle scritchies until he's done healing, then please deliver a big fat kiss on that sweet speckly face for me.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I know when Hans had this problem, it must have been bad b/c within days he was back to normal and not needing any pain killers or soft food. I am glad it's over. I know can you believe the size of those things!!!!!!!????? good grief they are HUGE

scootersig_A4.jpg

Pam with greys Avril, Dalton & Zeus & Diddy the dachshund & Miss Buzz the kitty

Devotion, Jingle Bells, Rocky, Hans, Harbor, Lennon, NoLa, Scooter, Naomi and Scout at the bridge

What good news. Glad he came through okay.

Melanie and Eric with Leminim and Eieio and silly kitty Elsa.
See you again someday, my sweet Payton (Flying Payton May 9, 2000-March 18, 2012)
Missing my sweet JJ, world's sweetest cat (April 1997-November 30, 2015)

Stealing food in heaven, my darling Minnie (2006-April 21, 2016)
Reunited with her favorite person in heaven, my Dad, Satin the skittish kitty (2002-May 7, 2016)

So glad that Joe will be feeling better soon. Teeth can cause a lot of problems -- even in humans...They must have been very bad to come out so quickly.

Feel better soon, Joe...

From Wisconsin -- It's Nancy, Bob, Carla, June Bug and our newby Skorch.... along with Buffy. She's the little hound that meows.

With loving memorials to K.C., Barko and Major Turn -- all playing at the bridge.

So glad. Good healing Joe!

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

What was crazy was the teeth looked FINE to my untrained eye. They were shorter than they should be from early adoption incidents of him NOT liking is crate, but they weren't plaque covered and smelly by any means.

The good news has sunk in a bit more today. Every time I see that sweet boy, I can't help but get the biggest smile :)

Thanks you guys, for thinking of my sweet boy.

Forever in my Heart Joe T Greyhound, Charly Bear, Angel Daisy, and Katze & Buzz Kitty.

Joe is a very lucky boy to have you guys. You know, Wendie, those canines just might have started to loosen when he did battle with the crate. I swear Darlin lost her incisors from taking the toilet paper roll off the wall. It's not easy to notice something like that.

So, so glad about your sweet Joe. :wub:

Ann

NewSiggy09b.jpg

Guest DeweytheGreyt

Wendie I am so glad that your handsome fella is on the mend. Must be a load off to know that he is on the road to a long and healthy life.

Wendie,

So glad Joe is doing so much better!!

And thanks for all your work on the Christmas card exchange, this is my first year and I'm looking forward to it.

Kathy

blackgreys5.jpg

, Phoenix, Okie, Casey, and Ellie the Galga; with Aggie, Alexa, Bear,Cody, Gianni V., Missy B, Babette, Bernice, and BooBoo at the Bridge