Heartworm Prevention For Seniors

I was wondering what others do about this. Sugar doesn't get any other vaccinations/preventatives anymore, but I am still giving her Heartguard.

Can I stop? Should I stop? I feel like she is taking so many meds already, I don't want her to have to take anything else if it's not necessary (I refused the incontinence drugs, I'd rather just wash bankies). But, I don't want her not to have something she really needs.

Opinions?

Consult with your vet. At least for a couple of months out here, the 'skeeters don't get around like they do during the monsoon season. Then again, if you're in a neighborhood with lots of green pools- that's a warning flag that you should keep Sugar on the meds.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Guest longdogs

The heartworm medications are very low toxicity and they won't harm her. Check to see if heartworm is seasonal in your area but prevention is a lot better than the disease.

I had the same question about our 13-1/2 year old Hobbes. He is on Prednisone and our vet doesn't want to give him

vaccines of any kind. She has, however, continued with the Heartworm medication. As the flavored variety seems to make his diarrhea worse, he has been switched to an unflavored tablet which seems to be working better for him.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

I would never stop the Heartgard.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

It really depends on your area, so it's hard to give advice over the Net. We are fortunate that heartworm is not very common where we are. All the other stuff you're doing sounds great though.

Why no vaccines as they age?

With Hobbes on 35 mg. of Prednisone daily (for a tumor), his immune system is quite compromised and the vet doesn't want him to have side affects from vaccines that ordinarily wouldn't be a problem. It is more his medication than his age that is the deciding factor. Heartworm medication does not affect the immune system so it is safe to continue.

I'm sure the decision to continue or not is based on the individual situation.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy